Powermac G4 RAM question

Reaction score
I'm new to Macs (well, at least to owning one) and just bought a Mirror-Door DP 1.0Ghz G4 PPC on ebay for $100. I'm happy with it so far but am somewhat puzzled by the memory in the machine. From all the information I can gather, the max memory in G4's is 2GB, and the max per slot is 512MB. Indeed, I cannot find any 1GB sticks for sale anywhere.

Anyway, it says that I have 2GB, yet only 3 slots are being used. It says that the first slot has a 1GB stick, and the other two have 512's. If the first slot does indeed have 1GB, then I should be able to put 4GB in the machine, correct? Is this most likely an error in the OS? What will happen if I put another 512 in the empty slot?

Thanks in advance,

Austin

Reaction score
Details: Supports 184-pin PC2700 (333 MHz) DDR SDRAM.
Standard RAM: 256 MB Maximum RAM: 2.0 GB*

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I realize that and have seen that information already. My question is that if the max ram is supposedly 2GB and 512 per slot, then why do I does it recognize the 1GB stick that I have in one slot, and how do I have 2GB (the supposed max) with a slot still open?

Thanks in advance,

Austin

Reaction score
You can put 4 gigs in the machine ..its only going to use the 2 gig max. Back in the day one gig sticks were not the norm and everything was rated at 512..that its sees the one gig stick is not strange. The machine just prefers matched pairs.

OP
A
Reaction score
So the machine would run faster if there were matched pairs of ram?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not really as it will run according to the processor fitted. More memory will make it a little more snappy opening applications etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.