• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Google Translate adds support for Latin

Reaction score
Or students! Like me who is studying medicine and finding out translations to the latin roots

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Also useful for people who love languages and want to know where the words they use come from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
Official Google Blog: Veni, Vidi, Verba Verti

I can think of two kinds of people who will love this Traditional Catholics and white-haired old ladies with horn-rimed glasses XD
So-called "traditional Catholics" (whoever they are?) probably already know Latin.

And what does one's gender, age, hair color and style of glasses have to do with speaking Latin???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Wow, Bob and Harry will be pleased, they can go back to their schooldays when they learned it.... :D

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow, Bob and Harry will be pleased, they can go back to their schooldays when they learned it.... :D

Nuns with rulers still give me the chills to this day. T_T"

OP
E
Reaction score
My experiences with nuns has been universally positive. The real ones, I mean, who don't wear pants suites and live in condos.

I noticed that the voice they're using is an italian one. That doesn't get the stress right. It also doesn't pronounce "ae" and "oe" correctly. espeak has a classical latin tts, but it's about as good as can be expected from an open source free tts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Sounds like some academics had too much free time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iPod Touches and iPad
And it got this one wrong --

"Illegitimi non carborundum"

OP
E
Reaction score
That's because that's "dog latin" (not to be confused with pig latin) which is ill formed latin like you see in Harry Potter etc.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
"Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?"

Translate that Goggle! ;P

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
"Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium doloremque laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?"

Translate that Goggle! ;P
Done?

On the other hand was born and how all this mistaken idea of denouncing pleasure and praising pain, I will open a complete account of the moment, which is from Him explorer of the truth, and as a master builder of happy life, were said to you here. For no one is pleasure itself, because it is pleasure rejects, dislikes, or avoids, but because they follow the praising pain was born belongs to those who do not know how to pursue pleasure. Nor again is there anyone who loves pain itself, because it is pain, to obtain it would, but because it is rationally encounter consequences that toil and pain can procure him some great pleasure. To take a trivial example, which of us exercise because it is pain, but that it be some advantage from it consequences? But who has any right to find fault who are in the wish to enjoy a pleasure that has no annoying consequences, or one who avoids a pain that produces no resultant pleasure
I have no idea what that's from so I can't verify the veracity of that but I'm sure the original doesn't have the same language issues. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
cool.
Learning latin, honestly, easiest language to learn ever. Seriously, like 90% of english words are derived from it, so really easy to remember, and very easy to know.

OP
E
Reaction score
Actually, if you if you include both french etymologies and words straight from Latin, it's around 60%. I think its quite a bit less if you ignore the words that came through french.

Also, the vast majority of words you use every day are of germanic origin (THIS DOES NOT MEAN ENGLISH COMES FROM GERMAN!!!!!!!!) English and German have a common root called proto-germanic which wasn't written.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.