NAS problems...

Reaction score
Hi, I bought a western digital MyBookWorld NAS as a cheaper alternative to a time capsule, with the added advantage of being able to store other things on it.
However, setting it up is an absolute nightmare!

I plugged it all in as per the instructions, and it appeared on my shared devices section in finder. Good old OSX, I thought.
Then it happened- It dropped connection like I've never seen before.
I've been doing some googling, and apparently it will work if i assign a static ip to the drive.
I'm new to this whole wireless networking, having only ever set up a wireless router, which was pretty much plug and play.

If anyone could help with my problem, I would be incredibly grateful!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
What are you using as a router/NAT/DHCP server? That is where you would setup static IP or DHCP. Also note that some routers have the ability to always assign an IP address to a MAC Address (note this is the Media Access Control Address not a Mac computer) - this is how my router is setup - it is DHCP but the same address always gets assigned to the same device so I can find it easily. This also allows me to keep my devices on DHCP so if I go to another network I don't have to change configuration.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.