Boot Camp/Hard Drive Issue

Reaction score
Every time that I attempt to partition my hard drive using the Boot Camp assistant, it gives me a message that my hard drive needs to be Journal (Extended) in order to partition it for Boot Camp and then tells me to reformat my hard drive. The problem lies in that my hard drive IS Journal (Extended) and after reformatting it, I still get that error.

I am running a 2007 17" Intel iMac, current version of Snow Leopard, 4Gb of RAM, and plenty of hard drive space.

Please help! Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We need to see exactly how your internal hard drive is formatted. Right click on the drive and select "get info". Post the exact wording here, or better yet, include a screen shot.

Boot Camp will only partition a drive if it has been formatted as HFS Extended Journaled using the GUID scheme. I suspect there's something missing with yours which is why we need to see exactly what it says.

OP
J
Reaction score
Here are the screen shots. Ignore the hard drive space please; I was taking stuff off of an external hoping that I could use that for Boot Camp since I was having this issue(which apparently you can't) and I haven't transferred files off of my internal yet. However, this is the exact same message that I was getting before I tried to use my external for Boot Camp.

Screen shot 2010-10-01 at 11.43.49 AM.png

Screen shot 2010-10-01 at 11.44.20 AM.jpg

Screen shot 2010-10-01 at 11.44.52 AM.jpg

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your screen shots and the message you received are not what you reported in your first post....

Your hard drive is too full for Boot Camp to adequately create a new partition. That's one problem... (I guess because you moved the files from the external)

The second problem is the drive is fragmented so that there will not be enough contiguous space to create a partition even if you move files from the drive.

My advice: Buy a new large hard drive and replace the one you have. Reinstall OS X and your apps on the new hard drive. Then, use the BC assistant to create a partition for Windows. It should work OK.

Thanks for posting the screens shots.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your screen shots and the message you received are not what you reported in your first post....

Your hard drive is too full for Boot Camp to adequately create a new partition. That's one problem... (I guess because you moved the files from the external)

The second problem is the drive is fragmented so that there will not be enough contiguous space to create a partition even if you move files from the drive.

My advice: Buy a new large hard drive and replace the one you have. Reinstall OS X and your apps on the new hard drive. Then, use the BC assistant to create a partition for Windows. It should work OK.

Thanks for posting the screens shots.

The message that Boot Camp gave me is the same one that I received when I started with 90+ gigs of free space. Also, according to iDegrag, my hard drive is not fragmented.

As far as swapping hard drives goes, can you do that on an iMac? I thought the only thing that I could swap is the RAM?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Every time that I attempt to partition my hard drive using the Boot Camp assistant, it gives me a message that my hard drive needs to be Journal (Extended) in order to partition it for Boot Camp and then tells me to reformat my hard drive. The problem lies in that my hard drive IS Journal (Extended) and after reformatting it, I still get that error.

The Boot Camp assistant told you that "The disk can not be partitioned because some files can not be moved" That means there is not enough contiguous space to create a partition. You have fragmentation. Doesn't matter what iDefrag told you... there are files in the way that can not be moved.

And yes, you can change out the hard drive on an iMac. Not an easy task but lots of folks have done it. You can find instructions on the iFixit: The free repair manual web site.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.