HELP! My Macbook (Late 2008) has vertical blue line across the screen!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Recently, i was using my (late 2008) macbook 2.0Ghz when i noticed a vertical Blue Line going across the screen from the top to the bottom. I have uploaded pictures for you guys to see below.
MY APPLECARE HAS ENDED!
img0964lal.jpg

img0965w.jpg

Can someone explain if this is something wrong with the LCD screen itself or the video card or the connector is loose?

And if its a software or hardware problem, how to solve it by software? i have quoted a solution. But can someone verify if it works?
" Good Fix for Vertical Lines on Macbook
Here is how you fix the vertical line problem on the macbook
restart by resetting the pram (holding command option p r on restart) until you hear 4 chimes
then when you get into os x. open up system pref.
go to display. change the resolution of your screen to anything but normal. then change back to normal. restart computer normally and problem is solved."
Will this solve the problem?

Thank you for helping me out! I really appreciate it..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Try the PRAM fix and see what happens, it cant hurt. Is your 'Book the one with the Nvidia Graphics or the Intel ones?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Looks like stuck pixels to me. But give what you said a try, couldn't hurt. Have you accidentally banged/bent the LCD recently?

OP
L
Reaction score
Looks like stuck pixels to me. But give what you said a try, couldn't hurt. Have you accidentally banged/bent the LCD recently?

i have tried to reset the PRAM, its still there, do you think its the LCD screen which needs to be replaced or its the internal parts inside? cos my nvida graphics is still kicking in. i just played cod mw2 with no problems, BUT with the blue line of course.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, occasionally stuck pixels are due to a Software/internal hardware issue. Causing them to display every color at once, occasionally creating the blue line that you're getting. Although, the most likely scenario to me would be that your LCD got damaged somehow... I'll pull out my school Macbook and see if there's some graphic options that we can test. You're running 10.6 right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hmm... I'm not seeing much of anything along the lines of restore graphics to factory default or anything. Although we do seem to have the same graphics chip. That's basically it, I'm stumped. Final guess is a busted LCD, unless somebody else has some useful info that they'd like to offer?

OP
L
Reaction score
Well, occasionally stuck pixels are due to a Software/internal hardware issue. Causing them to display every color at once, occasionally creating the blue line that you're getting. Although, the most likely scenario to me would be that your LCD got damaged somehow... I'll pull out my school Macbook and see if there's some graphic options that we can test. You're running 10.6 right?

Yup, i guess its a busted lcd screen and nothing else, i have asked a repair technician and he verified it.

THANK You very much for helping me. im running 10.6.4.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're Welcome. And good luck with fixing it. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.