• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple, RIM Agree: No More Fart Apps

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple, RIM Agree: No More Fart Apps
Apple, RIM Agree: No More Fart Apps | Cult of Mac

Apple to Developers: We Don’t Need Any More Fart Apps
Apple to Developers: ‘We Don’t Need Any More Fart Apps’ | Cult of Mac

From Apple website and first link posted here said:
We have over 250,000 apps in the App Store. We don’t need any more Fart apps. If your app doesn’t do something useful or provide some form of lasting entertainment, it may not be accepted

From RIM and first link posted here said:
For us, apps are all about adding real value to the end-user’s life and creating revenue for developer. We don’t need 200 fart apps in App World. Those are apps you’ll use three or four times then never open again

It seems Apple and RIM finally got fed up with all the fart apps.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Can you REALLY have too many fart apps!!!;)

It's kind of like saying..."My computer is too fast!!!":)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Can you REALLY have too many fart apps!!!;)

It's kind of like saying..."My computer is too fast!!!":)

- Nick

Agreed, As useless as a fart app might be. They can come in handy when your bored.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You don't really need a fart app. I have fart sounds that I use for when get text messages. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
It's about time! Next up... "Tip Calculators".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I see a burgeoning new market in black market fart apps!

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
It's about time! Next up... "Tip Calculators".

As crazy as this might sound, the tip calculators might just be useful. In Australia we do not tip every meal we eat out or every service we purchase. We only tip when we think they really deserve it. And then the tip amount is what ever we feel is right and whatever we can afford. So in reality in Australia the workers are paid enough so they don't need the tips to survive and only the rare exceptional service ever gets a tip.

But act like this in places like your USA and I'll probably be banned from ever coming back. I know you have to tip over there everytime. Something about the workers not getting paid enough without them to survive. I don't know. And I would not even know what the rate you're supposed to tip is.

So in short a tip calculator for the foreign tourists to your land and others like yours would be very useful indeed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
As crazy as this might sound, the tip calculators might just be useful. In Australia we do not tip every meal we eat out or every service we purchase. We only tip when we think they really deserve it. And then the tip amount is what ever we feel is right and whatever we can afford. So in reality in Australia the workers are paid enough so they don't need the tips to survive and only the rare exceptional service ever gets a tip.

But act like this in places like your USA and I'll probably be banned from ever coming back. I know you have to tip over there everytime. Something about the workers not getting paid enough without them to survive. I don't know. And I would not even know what the rate you're supposed to tip is.

So in short a tip calculator for the foreign tourists to your land and others like yours would be very useful indeed.

Makes sense, That and currency converters are also useful.
I look at the fart apps as something to do when your bored. e.g. shopping with the wife..lol

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB

No actually we don't tip every time. It's just common courtesy to do so. It depends on the service that we are getting. If it's bad I give them 5% of the bill if it's really good I give 20-25%.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always tip in bars,pubs,restaurants,valet car parkers. Or if you get food delivered like Chinese or Pizza I tip. I'm sympathetic when I was younger worked lots of those jobs, But with the tipping EXCELLENT service is expected. I think the wage for tipped employees in the U.S. is some where around $3.00 per hour??,I might be way off, As I don't even know what the federal minimum wage is.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

In my experience...if you're eating in a "sit-down" restaurant...it's pretty rude not to leave any tip (unless the service was extremely bad). For average service...15% is a fair tip, 10% if you were sort of dissatisfied, 20% or more if you really felt like you got great service (especially if you made some special requests).

If you're eating in a fast food place...no tip.

And yes you are right..."wait folks" at most restaurants are not paid very well! "Wait Staff" can be paid as little as $2.00-$3.00 dollars/hour...much below the US minimum wage (and the minimum wage really is not enough to live on)...while the US minimum wage is something like $7.25/hour...so income from tips is VERY important.

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I always tip in bars,pubs,restaurants,valet car parkers. Or if you get food delivered like Chinese or Pizza I tip. I'm sympathetic when I was younger worked lots of those jobs, But with the tipping EXCELLENT service is expected. I think the wage for tipped employees in the U.S. is some where around $3.00 per hour??,I might be way off, As I don't even know what the federal minimum wage is.

$7.25. Gotta love google.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Makes sense, That and currency converters are also useful.
I look at the fart apps as something to do when your bored. e.g. shopping with the wife..lol

I see the fart apps as things made by children (or people with the mind of a child) to entertain other children or (or people with a mind of a child). Seriously if we need to hear a few farts we can eat some beans or chilli and let our anus rip and rumble. And then we'd experience the smell too. Something the ipad can't yet replicate.

I am happy the fart apps are being slowly banned.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Honestly, why do they care how many fart apps their stores carry? If it makes someone happy they'll download it - otherwise they'll ignore it. Why censor when you don't have to? Just because it's offensive to your delicate sensibilities?

Anyway.... I worked as a server throughout my college years. At the time, minimum wage was about $5.00 an hour. Servers made about $2.00 in anticipation of tips. Regardless, I made fabulous money - particularly on the weekends when I had tens or hundreds of tables in a day. But then again, I was good at what I did. These days, I usually do 15% for average service, 20% for excellent. On rare occasions, I'll do 10% for subpar service, but then I NEVER go back there again.

That last part is key. I didn't remember many faces as a server, but I DID remember the ones that left me a crappy tip. And I can tell you that those people suffered more than they will ever know.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Honestly, why do they care how many fart apps their stores carry? If it makes someone happy they'll download it - otherwise they'll ignore it. Why censor when you don't have to? Just because it's offensive to your delicate sensibilities?

Standards is why. Just cause something exists, that does not mean it should be out there for everyone to use. I know not many people feel like me on this subject. But I believe that things (in this case apps) should be out there to improve society as a whole. And all the fart apps are just showing the gutter minds in our society. Yes I have a "delicate sensibility" as you say. But it's for the good of society I think. Feel free to disagree with me on my opinion. But I am all for Apple, RIM and the others who are banning the fart apps.

That last part is key. I didn't remember many faces as a server, but I DID remember the ones that left me a crappy tip. And I can tell you that those people suffered more than they will ever know.

That is why I am glad Australia does not have a tipping system like the US does. I work in hospitality as you all know and we were taught that every customer is a VIP. even if they are rude to you, you don't be rude back. You just suck it up and move on to the nice customers. I blame the government there for setting the minimum (or award) wage so low. So people are forced to get good tips to survive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Standards is why.

If Apple is so concerned about standards, If were gonna start nit picking apps, Then If I was Apple I would go through the game section and take a serious look at the video games that depict violence.

Me personally I don't like any censorship, But lets not pretend it's about standards, It's more like Dollars.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Honestly, the whole story is a non-story. No fart apps, but plenty of mutha bleeper lyrics in the music section. If there are standards, I'm not seeing them very well. Jobs is a CEO, not a moral arbiter of the day. W R Hearst anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Oh I'm not suggesting they ban tip calculators. My point was they easily have enough to suit every need, just like the fart apps. They aren't banning those… just not accepting any more. At least that's how I took it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.