• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's final frontier: The enterprise

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Apple's final frontier: The enterprise
The enterprise: Apple's final frontier - Sep. 29, 2010

And on a side note:
Various models of the Enterprise were captained by Kirk and Picard. And "The Final Frontier is the name of the 5th Star Trek movie with Kirk (Shatner). Totally off topic I know but I just wanted to say it.

Reaction score
Google is listed as one of the companies with Apple products. Hmmm.

Well…I expect that by the time I'm in my 40s…Apple will have 50/50 domination with Windows when it comes to use in the enterprise.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I bet the Star Trek fans will love the play on words. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
seems like bad business to use macs, simply because if they break you have to send them in to apple rather than have the local IT guy fix em. also, cost.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
seems like bad business to use macs, simply because if they break you have to send them in to apple rather than have the local IT guy fix em. also, cost.

But if your local IT guy has his Apple certs and is an Authorised Apple repairer then you have no issue. And it's almost viable for the company to pay for one person or a few to do the Apple certs. Then you only need a small IT team to service the Apple network instead of a large IT team to service a Non-Apple network.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
But if your local IT guy has his Apple certs and is an Authorised Apple repairer then you have no issue. And it's almost viable for the company to pay for one person or a few to do the Apple certs. Then you only need a small IT team to service the Apple network instead of a large IT team to service a Non-Apple network.

heh, only if we can take the title "Genius"
and why would you need a large IT team for non Apple machines? PC (or just non macs) are much easier to take a part and deal with, heck, I've been doing it since I was 8. The overall layout of a PC is very simply to deal with, and so is trouble shooting problems and replacing parts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Most folks who need Unix would likely use one of the big 3 as all are transitioning to Intel in some fashion or another. Don't look to see SAP, Oracle 11g, Catia, Enovia or WebSphereXD on Mac anytime soon. As for certs... those are mostly for noobs and consultants and Accenture rental techs. I've never known a company to get their own internal staff certified in any technology once someone is hired. The exception might be data centers trying to sell server hosting. Usually, you get sent to the 5 day class, and return Monday with responsibility for some PMs deployment of that technology (whether it was covered in class or not). Nice thought though.

Reaction score
I work for a large tech firm and use both MBP and iPhone as my devices. I just do not have the issues I had with Windows machine and other phones. I think the percentages will keep increasing, the question is at what pace.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
heh, only if we can take the title "Genius"
and why would you need a large IT team for non Apple machines? PC (or just non macs) are much easier to take a part and deal with, heck, I've been doing it since I was 8. The overall layout of a PC is very simply to deal with, and so is trouble shooting problems and replacing parts.

It's your job to "fix" a computer regardless of how "simple to deal" with or hard a computer might be, assuming you're this "IT expert!" If an IT worker finds it too difficult to work on a mac computer, then they shouldn't even have that job. The only mac that is truly difficult to repair on your own is the mbp line. And are you suggesting that IT people don't send computers in to the manufacturer for repair?? Because that would almost be funny.

Assuming you have a competent IT worker, turnaround time for a working mac should be just as quick or quicker than whatever you might have, especially since they have the option of taking it to an apple store instead of mailing it off to some random location.

It's like a mechanic who has been working on a chevy cavalier his whole life, then people suddenly switching to mercedes...yeah, it might be a little tougher and a bit more complicated, but the IT worker will also be more knowledgeable in his field, as well as having better services available to him.

Back to the topic.
Am I the only one who fears of Apple's adoption rate increases?

Reaction score
it will take a very long time for this to happen. Small companies can make the switch relatively easily. Large corporations with tens of thousands of employee's will take many years to convert. Not to mention the very high cost to do so.

What will happen when these businesses have some serious problems with the way Apple conducts business? Im sure once a few bow out because of the harsh way apple does things (apples way or apples way and you dont have a choice).

Im sure you read that costco is phasing out all apple products and will no longer sell and Apple product. Apple wants a percentage of the profit that CostCo makes on the sale of each Apple device. CostCo said its not worth it to them to continue selling Apple products

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Im sure you read that costco is phasing out all apple products and will no longer sell and Apple product. Apple wants a percentage of the profit that CostCo makes on the sale of each Apple device. CostCo said its not worth it to them to continue selling Apple products

If I made a product, I wouldn't let you have it for free, just so you can turn around and sell it for a profit either. Reread that article, or find a better one, because it seems like you misunderstood it. Apple has a tight control of it's prices no matter who the selling company is.
Though, I'm not sure what this has to do with the original topic...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
.... Apple wants a percentage of the profit that CostCo makes on the sale of each Apple device. CostCo said its not worth it to them to continue selling Apple products

Where did you come up with this??? Show me... Reputable... Not some on some no name blog.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

I'll second what bobtomay said... where did you come up with this?

Costco corporate spokesperson stated the reason was that they were not receiving new products such as the iPad, new iPods, and yes the iPhone (AT&T contracted thru Costco) fast enough. In some situations it was taking longer than 6 months to receive new products while Wal-Mart, Sam's Club and some others were getting them almost immediately.

There may be other underlying reasons, but were not disclosed.

Anyway, it's no loss as far as I'm concerned. Costco has continually raised its business membership annual fee to the point where it's no longer worth it to us. That's why we maintain a membership with Sam's Club instead.

Reaction score
If I made a product, I wouldn't let you have it for free, just so you can turn around and sell it for a profit either. Reread that article, or find a better one, because it seems like you misunderstood it. Apple has a tight control of it's prices no matter who the selling company is.
Though, I'm not sure what this has to do with the original topic...

use google to find the story yourself.

my post is tied to the original pose because it has to do with Apples business practice's at question about the Enterprise servers and switching out the PC's to OSX. Many companies may refuse to do something like this, or even do business with apple on any kind of medium to large scale. More than people think.

All companies BUY products from product makers such as Apple, HP, Microsoft and so on, so they can sell them and make a profit.
What Apple wants is a percentage of the profit of the sales for each unit on TOP of what Costco buys them for. why....Costco already bought them from Apple, why should Costco have to pay an additional amount.
there is more to the story, so do a search and read up on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

All companies BUY products from product makers such as Apple, HP, Microsoft and so on, so they can sell them and make a profit.
What Apple wants is a percentage of the profit of the sales for each unit on TOP of what Costco buys them for. why....Costco already bought them from Apple, why should Costco have to pay an additional amount.

I have yet to find an article stating that. All the major sites write about costco not being able to sell Apple products online, and not having the Ipad. Nothing about Apple wanting a profit after each sale. Apple already got their profit, why would they double dip?
Here are my links. They're pretty reputable too.
Apple and Costco Officially Parting Ways - Mac Rumors
Costco confirms it will stop selling Apple products | Apple - CNET News
Costco To Apple – If We Can’t Sell The iPad We Won’t Be Selling The iPod « The Blade by Ron Schenone, MVP
Costco to stop selling Apple products
AppleInsider | Costco enters 'mutual agreement' to stop selling Apple products
:)

How about you post your link?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

...snip...

Costco already bought them from Apple, why should Costco have to pay an additional amount.

Not only have I already done the search, I read a great many of the sites when the news was announced by Costco and is as chscag noted above. It was due to them basically feeling snubbed by not getting product that Walmart and their direct competitor Sam's Club were getting.

You're the one making outrageous claims here... Point us to a legitimate site to back your claim.

A story such as you're claiming would be front page news everywhere.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Anyone ever try using iOS with Sharepoint, MS Project/Visio or SAP GUI? When it runs those items with aplomb, then it will be accepted by the enterprise market as an alternate to Windows. I love my Mac to death, but until the companies that supply enterprise customers see Apple offering an attractive and profitable platform to recode their core products on, you won't see Apple servers and notebooks taking enterprise by storm. Until then, I think it's mostly Apple's gadgets that you will see in 10,000+ license deployments. I'm pretty sure that's all Apple is after for now anyhow.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

You make it sound like IT departments spend a lot of time dealing with hardware issues. The truth is, we don't. Most corporate PCs are not custom-built rigs that use standardized parts. In fact, most corporate PCs are highly proprietary, with non-standard power supplies, system boards and form factors - very much along the same vein as what Apple sells to consumers.

If one of my Lenovo desktops has a hardware issue, I have to go back to Lenovo, who will dispatch a tech to repair the machine (much like Apple would through the same outsource firms that companies like Lenovo, Dell and HP use). In fact, one of those techs who was on-site to swap the system board in a Dell Latitude, showed up with a Mac that he carried his service manuals on. Come to find out, he was also certified to repair Macs for his company.

Sure, there are systems we have that are out of warranty that I'll need to swap the occasional mechanical part out of, but those are few and far between - and usually it's things like fans, hard drives and optical drives, which are pretty simple to swap.

With that said, I agree that Apple has a long way to go until it becomes a viable alternative on the desktop in the enterprise. I wouldn't even know where to start if I had to manage Macs in our Microsoft-centric environment. Today, I manage thousands of PCs, using GPOs, SCCM, McAfee EPO and many other tools that just don't have Mac-friendly alternatives. Heck, I've read quite a few posts here and elsewhere, where IT departments have quite a bit of trouble getting Macs to play ball with AD.

iPads, on the other hand, have seemed to pique my company's interest. From what I understand, we are already testing their application in a number of different settings. Hopefully one of those will eventually fall into my lap.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
With that said, I agree that Apple has a long way to go until it becomes a viable alternative on the desktop in the enterprise. I wouldn't even know where to start if I had to manage Macs in our Microsoft-centric environment. Today, I manage thousands of PCs, using GPOs, SCCM, McAfee EPO and many other tools that just don't have Mac-friendly alternatives.
Well, you'd start with Mac OS X Server and the unfortunately named Apple Remote Desktop.
Heck, I've read quite a few posts here and elsewhere, where IT departments have quite a bit of trouble getting Macs to play ball with AD.
Gee, Microsoft puts all that effort into making Active Direcotry an open, multi-platform directory service, and Apple just doesn't play ball. How disgraceful....

The issue is not the tools. No, the tools aren't as sophisticated, but they'd been getting better with every release, and you can bet they'd get a lot better if anyone was actually using them and submitting feature requests. The issues are
1. The tremendous investment in existing Windows-specific infrastructure, and the cost of duplicating that infrastructure to add a second platform
2. The Windows-specific training and experience of most IT people
3. Apple's ambivalence to the enterprise desktop and server market

And that last one is a killer.

The Mac has no future in the enterprise. The iPhone and iPad are Apple's dogs in this hunt.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac has no future in the enterprise.
People said Apple has no place dabbling in music.
People said Apple will never make a profitable smartphone.
People said Apple will never recover from it's position in the 90's after the bailout from MS.
Etc etc. I think you get my point. Never say never. Maybe Apple has no immediate future in enterprise. But I think Apple's strategy in enterprise is different to the other players. Thinking ahead even. I think give it time then we'll know more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.