Software update asked for username and password twice

Reaction score
I recently did a reformat and went to download the software updates I needed.

I use a standard account, so in order to run software update I need to enter the administrator username and password. The way it used to be was once I entered the username and password it checked for updates and then I'd install them. No having to enter the username and password again.

After entering the admin username and password it listed the updates I needed to download. Then I chose to install them, but after the license screen I was again asked for the username and password. I clicked cancel, then ran software update again and only had to enter my admin username and password once.

So why would it have done this? I did download these specific updates when I first got my Mac and that never happened before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Wouldnt think it a big problem ... I cant think of anything as yet. If it kept doing it, it is probably when trying to install a system/something ¿¿¿¿
Why not Repair Permissions via Disk Utilities and see if it happens again when you do a update... All i can come up with

Cheers

OP
L
Reaction score
I may try that permissions thing. After it asked me twice I did run it again and it only asked me once. Then I checked for updates just now and only had to enter it once, but then again there are no new updates since I just finished updating early this morning.

No idea if this would be related, but I got most of my updates off of Apple's website directly. When I was doing this my Mac was not yet up to date and was lacking 2 security updates. I noticed when I was on the Apple website the address in the address bar stayed the same while I went to several different areas of the website. Would this have been a problem, and was it a bad/unsafe idea to get updates that way on a non-updated Mac?

No idea if those 2 incidents would be related or not.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Well as far as i can gather, the URL that didnt change, it might well of have. The URL could have been a really long one and the part that could have changed could have been outside the URL window. If you get my drift. If it was updates there wouldnt have been much in the URL that would have changed, one to the other ...... Then again, without trying to scare you, was it the Official  website ??

As far as dl the updates directly from the site, IMO its the best way to do it. I have instances with Combo Updates not dl properly from the software updater. And i once got some wise words from harryb that the best way to get them is directly from the site.

Now i just had a look myself, as i have been bad and not updated for a while, but they are 2 different URL's for the updates, presuming you got the Security Update 2010-005 & Security Update 2010-006. Ill post both URL's for you and you might have to go back through your history and see if it was them ...
2010-005 http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1094

2010-006 Security Update 2010-006 (Snow Leopard)

So yea there isnt much difference in the 2. basically DL1094 and DL1105 is the only difference .....

Cheers

OP
L
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure it was the official Apple website. I got there by just opening Safari since by default it's the Apple website. The updates also show up as installed when I go to Software Update under System Preferences. Unless there was some way to navigate away from the Apple website by clicking a link on the Apple website I'd like to hope I stayed on the Apple website.

The links don't have the same address as the one that stayed in the address bar. I was dumb enough to clear the Safari history when I clicked Reset Safari from the Safari menu, so I can't say what the exact address was. When I did click Reset Safari though I didn't come across that problem again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When I did click Reset Safari though I didn't come across that problem again.

Well if i was you, i would go to bed, sleep well get up in the morning, smile that your alive and go on with your daily routine....
As i said in my OP, seems to be a minor thing.

If you keep experiencing it down the track when you update again, post back into this thread and we will have to look at it again

Cheers

OP
L
Reaction score
Someone told me that one reason software update may have asked me for my username/password twice is because when you enter it for something it only stays valid for so long. I did make a trip downstairs after entering it the first time and it wasn't just for a few seconds. That seems like a logical explanation, and I even wondered to myself if it could have to do with me taking my sweet time after entering the username/password.

As for the Safari issue, I'm going to do exactly what you said, TattooedMac. Anything can happen, but I need to keep reminding myself that this isn't windows and glitches can happen on any operating system.

Thank you for your help and God bless you! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Someone told me that one reason software update may have asked me for my username/password twice is because when you enter it for something it only stays valid for so long

Ahh of course. Your session timed out if it was as long as you said :)
Mind you if you mentioned that in your OP i think we could have knocked it on the head in quick time lol

The main thing is we worked it out in the end ... Well done

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.