• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Studio Pro Crashing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.93Ghz Quad core Intel Zeon - ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB - 8gigs Ram - FCS2
Hi.
I am experiencing a new problem with DVD StudioPro 4. When attempting to Build or Burn a project, I get to 100% but the crash. TS files appear to be in the correct destination but will not be accepted by Toast. (Invalid File)
I have uninstalled FCS2 and re-installed to no avail. I also tried completing a previous project, thinking that there may be some file corruption in the current project, but had the same result.
I am using a Mac Pro 2.93 quad core intel based

I would appreciate any help or thoughts.
many thanks
Alan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Can't say I have any ideas. I would look into using the Console app in the Utilities folder to try to look for an error message. It might be easiest to open Console app and then perform the DVD SP action. When it crashes, then go look at the log.

And, I'm not surprised that Toast has an issue since DVD SP didn't finish its job.

Lastly, always post the current OS X version you are using the the current version of the software causing problems. In this case DVD Studio Pro is not exact enough. True, it might not matter, but it could also be helpful to someone else who sees your question.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.93Ghz Quad core Intel Zeon - ATI Radeon HD4870 512MB - 8gigs Ram - FCS2
DVD Studio Pro crashing

Hi.
Thank you for your suggestions.
I am running a Mac Pro-OS X 10.6.4 2.93 Ghz Quad core intel - 6 gigs ram - ATI Radeon 4870 512MB - DVD Studio Pro 4.2.1 - FCS2

I am now getting a message that I have to re-install IOStorageFamily.Kext
How do I do this?

I installed a security update recently, do you think that this could be causing these problems?
Alan

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi.
Console App reported Bus Error.
Can you tell me what that means?
Thanks.
Alan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I doubt the security update would cause such a problem.

A But Error is commonly hit when software tries to access something in memory that it can't get to. Usually a call to another software component.

IOStorageFamily.Kext is a kernel extension that may have to do with permanent storage. It would be weird to see such a thing missing. Frankly, this one scares me. I'd be guessing to say what exactly it does.

Perhaps it can be installed by using Pacifist. This tool is designed to install software from the OS X install DVD. The problem is that you can't be sure if you might be installing an older version if you have kept up with the updates that Apple supplies. A difference in version may cause you more serious issues. On my updated Intel system the version I have is 1.6.1 which was last modified July 31, 2009.

Run System Profiler, click on Extensions under the Software section and look for the the IOStorageFamily name. If it is there then I'd try the following...

At this stage I'd do a backup and the Disk Utility app. In there select the startup drive and chose Repair Disk Permissions. If that doesn't fix the issue, boot into the OS X install DVD, run Disk Utility and choose Repair Disk.

If that doesn't fix it, then at this point, I can only think that a fresh OS X install will do. Perhaps someone else has a less radical idea.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Clean install

Thanks to all for your thoughts and suggestions.

I decided to go for a clean install, which has fixed my problems.

Thanks again
Alan

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.