Help with Mac OS X Theming

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" IMac, 8GB RAM, Intel i7 Processor, 2TB HDD
Good morning all,

Firstly, I am a new member to the forums and also to the Apple Mac world so bear with me lol!

I have just received my 27" IMac and getting used to it etc, first impressions are awesome and also plays the games I like in better quality than my high spec Windows machine did.

One thing I would like to know is how do I theme my OS X so that I can make it look nicer. I have Googled this, as you do, and the only programs I can find either are not being produced anymore or are not for OSX Snow Leopard.

The version I am running is OS X V 10.6.4

Can anyone suggest a good free program to organise / deal with theming with a large theme base?

Thanks in advance,
IMac_Gav

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" IMac, 8GB RAM, Intel i7 Processor, 2TB HDD
Do I take it this means their arnt any? lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MBP 15" i7, 2.66 GHz, 4GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OS-X 10.7.2; iPhone4 iOS 5.0
Gidday Gav

I'm very new to the world of Mac myself -just a little over a week. All I have done along these lines thus far is change the wallpaper (to another supplied with the OS) and modify a few of the settings in System Preferences of what is/is not displayed on the desktop. Essentially, I haven't gone down the path of theming per se, certainly in the Windows fashion...

However, in the course of my research, I have come across a programme by the name of GeekTool that may be of interest to you. There's basic information here and a very active thread/discussion on its use and code-snippets (including examples and images of what you can achieve) here and of course, here. This is probably not what you were expecting -and possibly a bit more hands-on than you'd like- but hopefully of some benefit to you.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly with more information on the availability of themes!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac * 2.8 Ghz Intel Core i7 * 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 * 1TB HD *AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
I don't know about themes, but I use LiteIcon to customize my system icons, and sometimes visit interfacelift.com to get different icons. I know I have seen people trick out their Macs with different themes, but I'm not sure how it was done.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Firstly, I am a new member to the forums and also to the Apple Mac world so bear with me lol!

I have just received my 27" IMac and getting used to it etc, first impressions are awesome and also plays the games I like in better quality than my high spec Windows machine did.

One thing I would like to know is how do I theme my OS X so that I can make it look nicer. I have Googled this, as you do, and the only programs I can find either are not being produced anymore or are not for OSX Snow Leopard.

The version I am running is OS X V 10.6.4

Can anyone suggest a good free program to organise / deal with theming with a large theme base?

The state of theming on OS X is in a disorganized state right now. It's partly due to some ways that Apple tightened down OS X to make it more stable/secure, which resulted in a couple existing theming apps (ShapeShifter for ex.) to no longer be able to work. There have been a few sites dedicated to OS X theming, most of which have ceased to exist (or effectively so).

That said there are still many ways to change up OS X's look and feel. Themes in particular do still exist, but you have to be absolutely certain they are made for the specific version of OS X you have, and be aware that any point updates can break them. Icons are still very easy to change out, and many system replacement sets are available.

MacThemes.net hasn't been updated in a couple years, but the forums are still very active.
MacThemes Forum

CandyBar is the must-have app for setting new system icons and changing your Dock.
Panic - CandyBar 3 - Change and Organize Your Mac OS X Icons and Dock

As for CandyBar themes… they are a bit harder to dig up. There are a lot of free themes, and a lot of not-free themes. Some of the pro ones are absolutely amazing.
Nitro OSX - OHMY Icons!
Mac Icon Themes : OHMY!Icons, The best 3D icons ever seen.
Iconfactory : Search

Here's one other resource off the top of my head.
Michael's Mac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.