Do you power down your Bluetooth keyboard or magic mouse?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 13" Macbook Pro
For those that have the bluetooth keyboard or magic mouse. Do you turn off the power over night? Or do you just let them fall asleep on their own. I just got both of them and am wondering how much the battery life will drop if I just leave them on all the time and let them fall asleep on their own. I will obviously power them off when they will not be in use for several days though

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Mac Mini
Wondering the same thing

I'm using the wireless keyboard and magic trackpad. I have the mac mini set to fall asleep every night and wake up before I do. So far, I've been letting the keyboard and trackpad fall asleep on their own (no manual shutting down). They're fine for now, but I don't know whether this is the right thing to do, either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Never power them down.

Keyboard batteries, using Energizer or Duracell Lithium and NOT re-chargable, lasts about nine months, mouse about three months on average.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
So, harryb2448,

Are you saying "One should not power down one's mouse and keybord," or are you saying "I never power down my mouse and keyboard?"

And it it's the first one, why not?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is up to you to do as you wish. There is an auto 'power down' built in to conserve power and turning off does sometimes interfere with pairing. Look down this link to Editor's Choice comments:-

Apple Wireless Keyboard - Keyboards - CNET Archive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2010 - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz
Never power them down.

Keyboard batteries, using Energizer or Duracell Lithium and NOT re-chargable, lasts about nine months, mouse about three months on average.

My Magic Mouse runs down batteries in about a week. I must admit, I use my Mac for work so it's being used maybe 16 hours a day every day. This unusual? I just bought a pack of Duracell recharge batteries so I am not too bothered but I did think it ran down a little fast.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Can't help with Magic Mouse ~ mine is due to arrive tomorrow depending on Australia Post's delays due to holidays. Problem with rechargeable batteries is they seem to develop a memory and charge less and less. Wth the Magic Mouse using AAA batteries compared to Mighty Mouse AA, may well run down quicker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2010 - i5 Quad Core 2.8ghz
Can't help with Magic Mouse ~ mine is due to arrive tomorrow depending on Australia Post's delays due to holidays. Problem with rechargeable batteries is they seem to develop a memory and charge less and less. Wth the Magic Mouse using AAA batteries compared to Mighty Mouse AA, may well run down quicker.

The Magic Mouse uses AA ... not AAA. I know this because to clarify that, I opened the back up just now to check :) And sat next to me is the box they came out of ...

Duracell Plus - AA LR6/STILO MIGNON MN1500

Definitely AA :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.