White Screen of Death

Reaction score
So I have a white screen on my macbook (2006 ), with no other symbols. I have tried to boot from the C D , but after the cd spins for awhile with nothing on screen happening, the disc gets ejected. If I leave the laptop on, it will eventually show a flashing folder with a question mark. Any hints as to why I can't boot from the disk? At this point I am suspecting a bad hard drive, but don't know if there is something else ( logic board ) that might be bad.

OP
O
Reaction score
A few more things to add, If I close the lid , the laptop does not go to sleep and the fan continues to run at what sounds like on a high setting. If i press the power button , it shuts off immediately as well. I have tried resetting the Pram, and the SMC but nothing. I think I am doing it right, but any tips would be appreciated as well. Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be a dead hard drive. But the fact that it won't boot from your install DVD is not a good sign. Are you sure that you're using the correct media to boot the machine? The original install DVD?

OP
O
Reaction score
Okay , I have an update to my dead laptop,, it turned out to be a dead hard drive after all. Even better was the fact that my Seagate hard drive was covered by Seagate under warranty , which was a big surprise !! The only thing I m wondering about now is why the laptop would not boot up to a startup disc, or into fire wire mode? I could not get anything to work, which led me to think the worst. oH well , happy ending.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Like I told another forum member just a short time ago, sometimes a dead hard drive will prevent anything from working right. Anyway, I'm glad that it turned out OK for you. Have fun and visit often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro (2009)
Like I told another forum member just a short time ago, sometimes a dead hard drive will prevent anything from working right. Anyway, I'm glad that it turned out OK for you. Have fun and visit often.
chscag is correct. I just dissected my macbook 10 minutes ago, removed the harddrive and I was able to boot up into the Snow Leopard installation via the DVD. Just buy a replacement hard drive if you're not under the Apple Care plan, it's super easy to replace.

OP
O
Reaction score
Now there's something I did not think of trying, removing the hard drive and trying to boot it up ,, oh well next time. Its fixed now . Thanks for the tips.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.