SCSI on a Mac Pro

Reaction score
I'm want to try to use an older scanner ( Umax Powerlook III ) to scan large format sheet film but uses the SCSI cables. I can use Vuescan for the software but need a way to connect the SCSI to my Mac Pro (2 yrs old). Do I need a controller card? Cost is an issue...if it wasnt I would just but a newer scanner with modern connections. There are only a few scanners that can scan film negs that large.

Joe B

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You will need a SCSI adapter card for your Mac Pro in order to use that scanner. I'm not sure where you can find one but suggest shopping around on the net doing a Google search or perhaps on eBay.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You will need a SCSI adapter card for your Mac Pro in order to use that scanner. I'm not sure where you can find one but suggest shopping around on the net doing a Google search or perhaps on eBay.

I found this to be a very interesting question...since I have some older SCSI equipment as well. Here's a USB to SCSI cable I found doing a quick search:

USB CABLE USB TO SCSI CONVERTER CABLE HD-50 MINI 326605 LOW PRICE $59.98

326605pro.jpg

...according to the website this cable is no longer made...but it's existence would mean that it may be available somewhere else...or e-Bay. I have no idea if it works...and if I'm correct...the SCSI end of this cable in the photo above is a "Mini DB50 SCSI connector"...so you would also need a "Mini DB50" to "regular" SCSI adapter to plug it into your scanner.

Like "Chscag" mentioned...a PCIe SCSI card would be an option as well (if you can find one). Doing a quick search...I couldn't find one that specifically said it worked in a Mac Pro...but for the cost of the cards I did find...it would be cheaper just to buy a new USB or firewire scanner.

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And depending on the model of your Mac Pro, it may be a PCIE 2 slot which would make the search even more difficult, and maybe even impossible. New scanner as Nick suggests looks like the go.

Reaction score

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Adaptec 2940U is an excellent SCSI adapter. I had one for an older PC desktop that I used for years. Adaptec made that model for both PC and Mac machines. Great adapter. Even had a configurable BIOS built in that you accessed during boot up. I'm not sure I remember how... Control A ?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.