Itunes network controlled?

D

dadio2002

So im at work today washing dishes, thinking about my new powerbook the whole time. I started thinking about my Pc I have and it has itunes which is hooked up to my surround system.

My question is there a way i can control itunes on my pc from my powerbook, i guess through my network? Or maybe even control the speakers?

this would be so awsome

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
Why dont you just hook up the Pc and powerbook with an ethernet cable and put your itunes library onto the powerbook. Then you can A) hook your sound system up using airport express then you can control your sound system from any where in the house from your laptop B) use Firewire for fast transfer to your ipod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
a) Cause airport express costs $128,- and he already has his PC next to his stereo
b) Some PC's already come with firewire and there isn't much advantage over USB2.

OP
D

dadio2002

Sorry... its not a seperate stereo. It is my computer 5.2 surround system sorround. Its kina difficult to hook up the powerbook to the speakers by cable because it has two cables. One for front and one for back.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
If they are networked then you can share the library on your PowerBook and access it from your PC simply. Just go into preferences and turn on sharing in on the powerbook and make sure the pc is set to look for shared music....tada

Reaction score
trpnmonkey41 said:
If they are networked then you can share the library on your PowerBook and access it from your PC simply. Just go into preferences and turn on sharing in on the powerbook and make sure the pc is set to look for shared music....tada
I think what he means is that he wants to keep all the music on his PC and use its speakers but be able to advance to next track, change playlists, etc. without him having to go near it, so the PB would act as a type of iTunes remote control using his network somehow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
VNC? you can controll the whole pc from the powerbook and therefore also change playlist and songs from itunes...
VNCthing on version tracker for the veiwer on the powerbook.
www.realvnc.com so that you can install the server on the pc.
That is my only advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
BadjahBoy said:
I think what he means is that he wants to keep all the music on his PC and use its speakers but be able to advance to next track, change playlists, etc. without him having to go near it, so the PB would act as a type of iTunes remote control using his network somehow.

Ah didn't read that clearly...well then in that case VNC is the only option

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Only problem with iHam on iRye is that it only works with macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Argh good point!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.