Tiger to Leopard on G4 PPC

Reaction score
Hello all, I need some advice please!

I have a iMac G4 PPC, which has been giving me a spot of bother recently in running Leopard.
I have had the machine for a while and recently Leopard on the HDD became corrupted (I think in the kernel(?)). I erased the internal HDD and as I had a clone of the disk on an external firewire drive I ran the machine booting from that drive. All well and good and when I had the time I would sort it out.
Anyway now that copy of Leopard seems to have stopped working.
So as I also have a MacBook (Intel) I started the G4 in target disk mode connected to the MacBook and checked there was no data left and installed Tiger on the G4 internal HDD, as this was the OS supplied with the G4. Now at least I have a functioning desktop but I want to put Leopard back on it and all the applications/data that was on it before.

Can I repair the Leopard on the firewire drive by connecting it to the MacBook and repair the permissions with a copy of 10.5.1? However i have tried upgrading Tiger to Leopard on the G4 with this disk and I get an error stating unable to verify essentials package....

Confused...I am a little....can anybody make it clearer on the best way to proceed...

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hello all, I need some advice please!

I have a iMac G4 PPC, which has been giving me a spot of bother recently in running Leopard.
I have had the machine for a while and recently Leopard on the HDD became corrupted (I think in the kernel(?)). I erased the internal HDD and as I had a clone of the disk on an external firewire drive I ran the machine booting from that drive. All well and good and when I had the time I would sort it out.
Anyway now that copy of Leopard seems to have stopped working.
So as I also have a MacBook (Intel) I started the G4 in target disk mode connected to the MacBook and checked there was no data left and installed Tiger on the G4 internal HDD, as this was the OS supplied with the G4. Now at least I have a functioning desktop but I want to put Leopard back on it and all the applications/data that was on it before.

Can I repair the Leopard on the firewire drive by connecting it to the MacBook and repair the permissions with a copy of 10.5.1? However i have tried upgrading Tiger to Leopard on the G4 with this disk and I get an error stating unable to verify essentials package....

Confused...I am a little....can anybody make it clearer on the best way to proceed…

If your clone has stopped working too, then reinstalling OS X again won't fix anything. You have a hardware problem. I found one other conversation in another forum where someone had the same error message you had, and the culprit was bad RAM. You should run the Apple Hardware Test and check everything out thoroughly.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks lifesabeach for your post.

I have run a disk utility check on the clone HDD and found it is corrupt. A message suggests that I backup the data and reformat the HDD.

I have erased the G4 HDD and installed 10.4 to get it up and running. I have also tried to install 10.5 but seem to get an error message part way thru' install which details unable to validate "essentials" package.

Any ideas on getting 10.5 back on the machine?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks lifesabeach for your post.

I have run a disk utility check on the clone HDD and found it is corrupt. A message suggests that I backup the data and reformat the HDD.

I have erased the G4 HDD and installed 10.4 to get it up and running. I have also tried to install 10.5 but seem to get an error message part way thru' install which details unable to validate "essentials" package.

Any ideas on getting 10.5 back on the machine?

Cheers

As before...

I found one other conversation in another forum where someone had the same error message you had, and the culprit was bad RAM. You should run the Apple Hardware Test and check everything out thoroughly.

Here are instructions to run the AHT:
The Apple Hardware Test

And to check your RAM very thoroughly:
Memtest OS X

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.