iTunes & iPhoto Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard
Hi Guys

I need to clarify how iTunes & iPhoto work before I do a bit of clean up on my Mac.

When I import Music (from a music folder on my Mac) into iTunes > Does iTunes create links to the file ? Or Does iTunes copy the files to some special iTunes Folder > in which case I'll have 2 copies of the file ?

Same Question for iPhoto but this time with Photographs and Images obviously.

I ask because I want to know > IF I delete the Music albums from the Music folder > would that also delete them from iTunes ? Cause I don't want that to happen.

I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thank You.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Any import for either program will import the files into a special folder ,yes. Both have their own folders on the HD, so you get duplicates if you have the files in another folder already on the Mac, yes.
However, if you then delete them from your own music or photo folder, it will not delete them from the iTunes/iPhoto folder on the HD, no.

OP
Ciwan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5 2.66GHz - RAM 4GB - OS X Snow Leopard
Thank You, that is what I wanted to know. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.