Problems w/safari and...

Reaction score
I downloaded this softonic app, it was a windows paint like program, and it downloaded a stupid toolbar on my safari, I found it in the applications folder and deleted it, but still my safari has problems. When I open a new tab and click on a website to go to, it opens it up in the previous tab sometimes. As well, my password and username would usually come up on my email/facebook, etc pages and now it does not. Again as well, I now have this 'alerts' thing on the top right of my screen next to the volume and clock and date. Can this be fixed? I hope I didn't ruin anything.

EDIT: I have already uninstalled and reinstalled safari, still problems persist

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Go to your Login Items, in System Preferences > Accounts > username. Can you list what is there? Or do you see anything suspicious?

OP
R
Reaction score
no, nothing suspicious there, just itunes helper, stickies, caffeine, and snapz pro x(last 2 are apps I downloaded a while ago, work great for months now)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
no, nothing suspicious there, just itunes helper, stickies, caffeine, and snapz pro x(last 2 are apps I downloaded a while ago, work great for months now)

Hmmmm. I'm at a loss at the moment to figure out what to check next. If you want to have us check everything running, run Activity Monitor, use CMD-A to "Select All", then copy/paste it here. Also, can you post a screen shot of this "alerts" thing you say is on your menubar? And you may as well grab an AV package and scan your system. You may have gotten ahold of something unpleasant from that Softonic site (I've never trusted that place). One freebie is iAntivirus.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.