New Imac 27-i7 Issues

Boe

Reaction score
Hey, guys.

I just received my new 27" imac quad core (mid-2010 5750) and I'm blown away by the fit and finish of this thing. I am having some issues though. Here's what went down.

Unpacked it / plugged it in.
Booted it up
Installed W7 ultimate via the bootcamp process
Installed the drivers using the bootcamp disc
Got my programs and files moved over
Installed an 8gb memory kit that I had used in a macbook pro
Checked to make sure the 12gb of memory was registered and working
Fell in love with this machine
Installed and played the mafia 2 demo for a few minutes

Now, when I closed that mafia demo and returned to my desktop, the screen was dimmed for some reason. This could be due to pushing some buttons on my cable remote, which apparently adjusts the volume on my mac which is a little annoying.

So my first instinct was to restart, which I had done a couple of times since getting everything set up. When it began to boot it flashed me a lovely blue screen of death and then sent me into an endless cylce of try to reboot and repair, saying that it failed to boot.

I've tried a lot of repairs, as well as a memory check and the other options they gave me. Nothing has worked.

So now I'm stuck unable to boot into windows, and when I hold the option key to boot back into OS10 it only pops up with windows as my OS option...no os10 partition. Combine that with the fact that I have a starcraft 2 disc in the cd drive, and my options are quickly diminishing.

I know there have been bootcamp issues with W7, but does anyone have any ideas of how to escape this scary forest of doom I've found myself in?

I'm still in love with this machine beyond my expectations, just need it to boot into an operating system of some sort.

thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"MBP 2.53GHz 4GB 10.6 250GB Seagate Hybrid SSD
You could try booting while pressing down on the mouse to eject the disc so that you could boot from the install disc.

OP
B

Boe

Reaction score
Thank you, sir. I was able to get the disc out and am now reformatting OS10..to format W7.

Anyone have any ideas of how I can avoid a repeat of this problem? I've seen some things about the video driver with bootcamp being corrupt or something.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dear flavor of locke

Great idea re pressing down on the mouse as I once had a "stuck" DVD; but I can't recall whether you press down the Left or Right or Both. Or does it matter?

If it happens again it would be nice to know.

Ian

OP
B

Boe

Reaction score
Just wanted to follow up on this in case someone else stumbled upon the problem.

I removed the stock memory, to which I initially just added my 8gb kit. This didn't solve the problem at the time but has possibly contributed to the problem not reoccurring.

I was able to reinstall os10 and then W7 via bootcamp again. For whatever reason, it seems to work now. i did get windows activated, but after a day or two of use so who knows if that had anything to do with the first problem.

Anyways, working great now and I love this machine :) With this kind of power and screen real estate, I don't foresee myself going back to a conventional desktop again.

cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs
It's good to hear that things are working for you now. I personally like to use a new computer for awhile before making any major changes to it in order to make sure that the computer is working okay from the start. This helps to eliminate possible causes once you do your major updates. It also let's you know what should be normal before you start making changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You may have just skipped the info on your original post but did you ensure OSX was fully up to date before installing W7?

Also, once in windows did you install the bootcamp update and all windows updates?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.