Sync iPhone to new Mac without old Mac backup file

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I thought I'd be able to find a thread on this, and there might be one, but I was unable to find it.

I have an iPhone 3G. My laptop failed about 6 months ago and I haven't updated my phone or synced it to a computer since. I would really like to do that now, but I'm worried that I'll lose the calendars, photos, notes, etc. that I have on my iPhone in the sync.

How can I sync my iPhone to my iTunes without losing any information? I feel like it should be easy, but everything I keep looking at online requires either the old backup file or some complicated process.

I'd appreciate any ideas/help.

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Just plug it in. When it says Syncing on the iPhone, slide the slider to cancel it, right click on the iPhone in iTunes and click Backup. That way you will have a backup of your phone should anything go wrong, after that it will be automatic backups But generally when you switch computers with the iPhone the only thing you will lose is the movies and the music but everything else ie contacts etc are kept on the phone

OP
I
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I did go ahead a do a backup of my phone last night. Are you sure that the only thing I would lose worst case is my music & movies (I'd only have to worry about music).

That would be great because that's what I'm least worried about. My top concerns are
-Calendars
-Photos
-Notes
-Contacts

If I sync to computer and then put my backup from last night on my phone should I be where I'm at now but minus music? Or is there a chance I'll lose other things?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Yea go ahead and sync it, if you have any custom ringtones on there as well they will go as well. Best bet as well take a copy of your iPhone backup in this folder:

~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

And put a copy on your desktop because when you sync it will override the backup. Your music and movies will go but your contacts etc will stay on there. When I moved my iPhone from my old Windows PC to my New Mac the only things I had to put back on was the Music. And in the odd case where you do lose anything, you shouldn't though. You can restore from the backup files backup on your desktop.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.