Mac Pro Boots to white/blue screen

Reaction score
Hi, hope this is the right place.

A friend of mine has a Mac Pro, it started to run really slowly, so he rebooted it and only gets to the white/grey screen with the spinning 'clock'.

I've now got it to try and fix. I removed the HDD's, cleaned out a load of dust etc and booted. It got to the white/grey screen and displayed the folder with a ? in it. So power off, put in the HDD with the OS on it and fired up again..... It took ages to get through the White/Grey screen and got to a very light blue screen with a mouse pointer in the upper left corner.

I've reset the Pram, and whichever it is where you hold the power button of ages.
I put an OSX disc into the DVD drive and booted with no HDD's and it still refuses to load an OS at all.

Not sure on the machines spec, but its massive, twin processor, 4GB of ram etc. He said its only 2 years old.

Any ideas? As my googling has turned up not much of use/fix :(
Thanks

Stuart

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It should have booted with the OS X disk. What kind of OS X disk did you use? It has to be the correct one for that model Mac Pro you have otherwise it won't work. Do you have the original install recovery disks that came with the machine?

I suspect the hard drive with the operating system on it is defective, that's why you need the original install media or a retail OS X set to test with.

Some details about the machine would also help... Mac Pro which year? Which version of OS X is it using?

OP
S
Reaction score
right then,

Its a G5 1.8ghz Dual Processor MacPro.

I've just tried the Mac Pro OSX disc that came with it and nothing... I've also tried OSX Leopard (The disc you buy from a retailer). NOTHING.

Although now and again it will ask to reboot, rather than going past the Apple logo and the spinner of doom.

Any ideas? :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Its a G5 1.8ghz Dual Processor MacPro.

Sorry...but no it's not!;) It's either a G5 or a Mac Pro...it cannot be both. I'm guessing (from your info) that it's a dual processor Powermac G5.

Also...this computer (if it's a Powermac G5) is closer to 5 years old not 2 years.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
only going on what I've been told.... not like I'm trying to sell it and scam someone is it :p

Will there be any markings on the **** machine to tell me *** it is then?
Afterall my macbook dosent have any external markings to suggest its almost older than time but still an intel etc lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If you are sure about the 1.8Ghz Dual Processors it is a G5, 2003 vintage, as Mac Pro's started at 2GHz. Maybe the person who sold it to you to0ld you a little porkie? Sounds like major problem such as logic board.

Easy way to tell is G5 have a single optical drive door, Mac Pro's all have dual optical drive doors. Here are the specs for a 1.8GHz DP G5:-

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g5/stats/powermac_g5_1.8_dp.html

OP
S
Reaction score
Its got dual drive doors.

Its my friends so I've not purchased anything iffy lol

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its got dual drive doors.

Its my friends so I've not purchased anything iffy lol

If you take off the side panel of the computer there are two quick ways to determine what this computer is:

1. The processor heat sink covers have a BIG "G5" printed on them (like photos 1 and/or 2 below)...if it's a Mac Pro...it will look something like photo #3 (notice that the Mac Pro has two CD/DVD drive doors on the front):

PowerMac-G5-desktop.jpg

IM000187.jpg

images

2. A second method to identify the computers specifications is...after you remove the side cover...there should be a "gray identification strip" with the computers specs on it (see photo #2 above at the bottom)...it looks like that...and may be located somewhere on the back of the computer as well (the back is where all the ports & fan exits are).

HTH,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
OK dual doors means it is a Mac Pro, The original discs that came with the machine should be OS X.4.8 or later, depending on the model. If you are 100% sure the discs actually came with this precise machine, pop in disc one, reboot and hold down "D" to start Apple Hardware Test in the extended mode. Give it time as it is quite a slow operation, depending on the amount of memory installed.

If all goes well, again boot from the disk, this time holding down "C", go to Utilities in the Menua Bar, Disk utility and run Repair Disk and see what is reported. If all is well and good, format and do a clean install.

OP
S
Reaction score
it looks more like piccy 3, but the lower section where the ram sits is a different setup....But definitely NOT like the G5 pics.

Looks like this.
macpro0309.jpg

So then, the mac pro that is here boots to the white/grey apple screen, waits an age then goes to a light blue screen with a mouse icon...

With an OSX Leopard disc it wont boot beyond the white then blue setup, with the OSX disc that came with the machine it wont boot past the whtie then blue screens.

Worth trying a different DVD drive? Why would it have suddenly happened with the boot HDD too... ?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it looks more like piccy 3, but the lower section where the ram sits is a different setup....But definitely NOT like the G5 pics.

So then, the mac pro that is here boots to the white/grey apple screen, waits an age then goes to a light blue screen with a mouse icon...

With an OSX Leopard disc it wont boot beyond the white then blue setup, with the OSX disc that came with the machine it wont boot past the whtie then blue screens.

Worth trying a different DVD drive? Why would it have suddenly happened with the boot HDD too... ?

Mac Pros have come in differing configurations since 2006...maybe yours looks more like this:

images

If the computer won't boot from the hard drive...then it could have a bad hard drive...or the hard drive needs a new install of the OS.

If you were able to boot the computer from an Mac OS install DVD...then you could run a program called "Disk Utility" which checks the disk for hardware problems & can repair some errors.

You said that the Mac Pro won't boot from the CD/DVD drive. What do the disc or discs you've tried look like...are they gray or black?

- Nick

p.s. Forget my photo...I see you attached one that looks like yours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Hmmm.... To me it appears as though the Hard Drive failed. Based on the symptoms of the computer running very slowly, then not booting at all, even with an install disk. Another thing it could be is the logic board has died. Either way. It's probably gonna need some sort of a Hardware repair.

OP
S
Reaction score
I've tried a grey and a black disc. Same result each time.... to the light blue screen with a mouse pointer in the corner.

The HDD 'works' as my friend took it somewhere and retrieved all the data off it.

I assume the logic board is to macs what a motherboard is to PC's?

I can format the disc up in a PC, is there a favoured format of choice, or will OSX just hammer its own one on at install?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I assume the logic board is to macs what a motherboard is to PC's?

I can format the disc up in a PC, is there a favoured format of choice, or will OSX just hammer its own one on at install?

Yes...I use both terms interchangeably .

You don't want to format the hard drive in a Windows computer. Mac OS formatting is different.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
so an osx install disc cant format a fat32 disc...... that bites a lot for an OS thats superior in most ways bar this simple one lol (yes I know in disc utilities it 'can' fat32 a drive.. although its ropey at best).

Might see if I can archive my Linux drive off and try that in the mac pro as they are satas :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.