Matshita UJ-85J Alternative for Imac

Reaction score
Hello

It looks like I need to replace my superdrive in my 17" 2ghz intel imac late 2006.

Its currently a Matshita UJ-85J Superdrive, burns the dual layer discs, (used to!).

What if any, could I replace it with, does it have to be the exact same model of superdrive?

Or are there alternative models, for instance from a G5?

Or is it possible to have the old one fixed?

Any tips would be beneficial.

Thanks.
;);)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes, it's possible to replace it with an exact model or one that has better specs.

Go to the Other World Computing site and find a replacement internal drive. Also, you can replace it with an external drive instead. External drives are less expensive and are a practical replacement solution for a desktop computer such as your iMac.

OP
tsam19
Reaction score
I'd prefer an internal drive as I've already tried an external one and it wasn't very good!

I've tried the site you mention and it caters for all macs except an INTEL IMAC, there's no
picture or mention of an intel only a G5.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's strange as OWC has definitely stocked them before. It seems those drives are getting scarce. I just checked Powerbook Medic.com who stocks them but it seems they are out of them right now. You might want to give them a call and ask when they'll be getting more in stock. They have an 800 number you can call.

PowerMax claims they have the drive for $89, however, I'm not sure that's an exact replacement. You'll need to check carefully to see if it will work.

OP
tsam19
Reaction score
I spoke to someone at the OWC site in the live chat session & they assured me they sell the replacement drives for the imac intel version.

This is the link to that part

OWC Mercury for iMac G5 - 8X DVDRW/2.4X DL... (MG4SL8XDLK) at OWC

I'm reluctant to buy it as there is no mention of it working in a intel imac only G5!

But was told the G5 superdrives & the intel superdrives are compatible??

But again when I asked for an exact model number of this drive or similar ones that would work, they didn't have any to hand, which is strange.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the folks at OWC say the drives are compatible, then they are. I trust OWC as they have always sold good quality parts and memory. And, they warrant everything they sell. I would say go ahead and order it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.