More than 2 Threads on dual G5...good idea?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
hi guys!

I do alot of work in cinema4D just for fun. i know on higher apps you can specify how many threads to use. if i set it to optimal, it uses only 2 threads to render. However, i can specify, 1, 2, 4, 8. So for laughs i set it to 4. 4 Render lines come down the screen. sweet. i know i couldnt do that on 2 CPU X86 machines.

But overall, is it really faster? less accurate? any downfalls?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
IMO that is the great thing about dualies... faster render times (PS, C4D, FCP, etc.) They'll split your work between the CPUs, making it at least half the time depending on your RAM and bus speed. If you have a dual G5, well, you have fast times ahead.
When I work in Cinema, I love how my DP G4 sends down two lines instead of one. I haven't had any qualms with the performance. ;)

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual G5 powermac
yea, lol but try 4 or 8 , its SWEET, its only 2 CPUs, yet rendering like theres more

ive heard stability issues when going as high as 8 though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.