Switching application windows within Spaces

Reaction score
Hi,
I like to switch between open windows of the same application using the shortcut "command+`". When there are many open windows of the same application, this command cycles through each window, so it is only effective at switching back and forth if I minimize or close the rest of my windows. I thought that I had discovered a work-around by moving the windows that I wanted to switch between to a different "Space" in Spaces, but my keyboard shortcut still cycles me through all of my open windows, regardless of which "Space" they are in. Is there a way to set Spaces to only switch between windows that are open in that particular "Space"? Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Have you considered using Expose for the windows within a certain Space?

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response.
I do use Expose on occasion with either f9 or 4 finger swipe on the trackpad. I do a lot of work though where I need to switch back and forth between just two windows (for example, 2 different Excel spreadsheets) and the keyboard shortcut is just easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I don't think there is a way to do exactly what you want.. a keyboard shortcut to flip between just 2 specific windows while additional windows of the same app are still open.

BUT… you CAN throw SHIFT into the mix, it reverses the order of the CMD+~ So you could go back and forth with:

CMD+~

and then

SHIFT+CMD+~

OP
K
Reaction score
That is unfortunate. It would be make Spaces a lot more useful to me if there was an option that would treat each "Space" like its own desktop and ignore whatever else was in the other "Spaces" when switching application windows. Until I find something better, I guess I continue to work around by minimizing to the dock.
Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Hmmmm … I just tried it out.. 6 separate windows of Safari. 2 in 1 space, 4 in another.

CMD+~ cycles through ONLY the 2 windows.

I tried it with Excel.. and as you said, it cycles through ALL instances regardless of what Space they are on.

Just tried it in Numbers.app and it works perfectly, just like Safari. It must be something with the MS apps vs the Apple apps.

Tried it with Cyberduck… works perfectly. It's a problem with the MS apps.

OP
K
Reaction score
You are right, it works like a charm using Safari. I should have thought to try it with other programs. As it turns out, the problem seems to be with the program that I am using (Open Office Calc, not Excel as I erroneously reported before), not with the Spaces program itself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
It would be . . . useful to me if there was an option that would treat each "Space" like its own desktop . . .

I think "there's an app for that" but I don't remember what it's called.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.