Wanna help me help my mom

Reaction score
I am a proud owner of a macbook (the black matte one) and i had receive a ibook 128mb memory 900mhz powerpc g3. I wanna upgrade it to tiger (I believe thats the highest it can go right?) But every time I start the upgrade it i choose english and it says preparing installation it freezes there. So i was wondering do anyone know why, or is there a way to install it via usb if so can you help me.

I really wanna help my mom learn a new language so i wanna install rosetta stone on the upgraded machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
try giving the disk a good clean or make a copy of the install disk and see if a clean disk works

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
For Tiger 10.4 128MB will be way too little RAM. It might install (I have never tried Tiger with 128MB RAM) but it will be so slow. Your iBook has a DVD drive correct? Did you try the suggestion of cleaning the DVD?

That machine has 128MB RAM soldered to the Logic Board. You can put in a 512 MB PC100 So-Dimm module. That will give you 640MB RAM which will run Tiger pretty well. Probably well enough for what you want to do with the machine.

OP
R
Reaction score
For Tiger 10.4 128MB will be way too little RAM. It might install (I have never tried Tiger with 128MB RAM) but it will be so slow. Your iBook has a DVD drive correct? Did you try the suggestion of cleaning the DVD?

That machine has 128MB RAM soldered to the Logic Board. You can put in a 512 MB PC100 So-Dimm module. That will give you 640MB RAM which will run Tiger pretty well. Probably well enough for what you want to do with the machine.

Ya i did did not work how much would it be for the 512 mb and do you know a link to where i can find it and a how to guide to install it. I tried to install rosetta stone on the ibook currently running 10.2.8 and I receive and error about 5 seconds later while installing (rosetta stone 3 says works on all X os so iono why)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
how much space do i need in the memory department is 128mb to small?

That's really two different things. Space and memory are not the same. The 128MB is RAM. That's memory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
You know some software requires a minimum speed processor minimum amount of Ram. It doesn't list system requirements on the back of the package does it?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.