Where did it go?

Reaction score
Okay, so I backed up my data onto an external HDD using Time machine and so far I have found it pretty reliable. My latest backups however were there one minute ( I could with Time Machine go back to every backup date to June 4 2010 on this particular HDD) and then, without warning... nothing older than September 20 is available.

I have not formatted the external HDD nor was I prompted to delete or overwrite data.

I need advice on how to retrieve files and folders form earlier backups as the latest one (September 20) doesn't have everything I require from my history.

My system is Mac OSX (SL) up to date - Iomega HDD, iMac.

Any suggestions will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

jjmac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Was there anything in that folder prior to 20 Sept

Is your external TimeMachine back-up full up, or does it still have free space

OP
J
Reaction score
I had several back ups on the disc. I saw them all in Time Machine... I could use the arrow, mouse or select a time bar on the right to go back to either early September, August, July or June... everything was fine then, for no apparent reason all I can access is September 20 and no further back than that.

OP
J
Reaction score
...although it would appear that all the backups are still on the drive, only September 20 is available now in Time Machine as the other files seem to be compressed somehow :s

OP
J
Reaction score
I have to keep trying this forum because <i>somebody</i> must know what to suggest...

Re my inaccessible Time Machine Data

Okay, so I backed up my data onto an external HDD using Time machine and so far I have found it pretty reliable. My latest backups however were there one minute ( I could with Time Machine go back to every backup date to June 4 2010 on this particular HDD) and then, without warning... nothing older than September 20 is available.

I have not formatted the external HDD nor was I prompted to delete or overwrite data.

I need advice on how to retrieve files and folders form earlier backups as the latest one (September 20) doesn't have everything I require from my history.

My system is Mac OSX (SL) up to date - Iomega HDD, iMac.

There is 93.35GB available on the external hard drive with 319.73GB used (and much of this is the stuff I need but my Mac won't see for some reason).

I had several back ups on the disc. I saw them all in Time Machine... They WERE there, I could and did use them. I could use the arrow, mouse or select a time bar on the right to go back to either early September, August, July or June... everything was fine then, for no apparent reason all I can access is September 20 and no further back than that ...although it would appear that all the backups are still on the drive, only September 20 is available now in Time Machine as the other files seem to be compressed somehow :s

Any suggestions will be gratefully received. PLEASE, I will try anything!!!

Many thanks

jjmac

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.