Diagnose broken keyboard?

Reaction score
Got an old MacBook G4... hard drive was dying. Somebody had opened it up to get at it (which was a bit premature).

I was able to boot to single user (c-o S) and also verbose. Was told something was `blocking the bus` (I think something like that). So, cracked it open and unplugged both the CD drive and the modem or whatever that card is in the middle under the keyboard there.

Put it back together and now the keyboard hotkeys aren't working!

They may have cracked the tracks pushing the keyboard connector back on. But how can I be sure without wasting money on a new keyboard?

Can I use an external USB keyboard? Possibly a windows one with hopefully the win keys mapping to command-option...?

If not... then I guess it's stuck to boot from this borked hard drive.

-j

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Okay.. #1 there's no such thing as a "Macbook G4" I suppose your referring to an Ibook G4. Also I think you disconnected the airport card under the keyboard. If you pulled on the keyboard, you may have loosed the keyboard wire, which connects to the logic board. Try taking it off again, and wiggling the connector to see if you can get the keys to work again. If not, a windows keyboard should work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.