Need to delete disk image to reclaim space!

Reaction score
I hav a MBP w/ Snow Leopard. I recently created a disk image with Disk Utility but don't need it anymore.

How do I get rid of it and reclaim the disk space? I tried opening up Disk Utility, selecting the dmg, then clicking on Partition, - (minus button) to delete. but the dmg file still remains. I trashed it but i can't get it to delete from the trash bin. :Angry:

Pls tell me what's the proper way of deleting a disk image so everything goes back to the way it was before I created it, especially the reclaimed disk space. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I hav a MBP w/ Snow Leopard. I recently created a disk image with Disk Utility but don't need it anymore.

How do I get rid of it and reclaim the disk space? I tried opening up Disk Utility, selecting the dmg, then clicking on Partition, - (minus button) to delete. but the dmg file still remains. I trashed it but i can't get it to delete from the trash bin. :Angry:

Pls tell me what's the proper way of deleting a disk image so everything goes back to the way it was before I created it, especially the reclaimed disk space. Thanks.

The disk image would be a file on your drive. You wouldn't delete it via Disk Utility. That's for managing your hard drive, and to create these images. Using the Finder, go to wherever you saved the DMG and delete it like any other file.

OP
U
Reaction score
THanks it worked! I had trashed it but it remained in the trash bin and i guess the space doesnt get reclaimed until I actual delete it from the trash bin? I actually tried deleting it from the trash bin before and it wouldn't let me so i was worried. i guess my computer was just acting up at the time.

But thanks again. had it worked the 1st time, this thread wouldnt have existed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone
Yea, every now and then I'll delete something that doesn't want to delete from the trash bin. Maybe something from another drive, or some stubborn file. But i usually restart the computer and try it again later and it works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And you will have saved very little space. Reducing things to a .dmg file is for that very purpose, space saving. If things are this critical and you do not have 15% free hard drive space you desperately need a larger hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.