Word processing

C

catchawave

I'm looking for a very simple word processing program. I have always used appleworks - since it came with my eMac. I now also have a Lombard laptop which didn't come with any WP.
Problem is... I can't go with anything like openoffice because of the specs. Lombard doesn't have much HD space.
All I need it for is for simple documents and a spreadsheet. I never use the painting or most of the templates that are on appleworks. I haven't even checked if Appleworks 6 will even work on the Lombard.
Can anyone suggest some WP software that might work?

OP
C

catchawave

I've looked at neooffice but I don't think I have that much free disk space. They say 400MB free disk space.
Where would I go to find what I have?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Select your harddrive on the desktop and hit Apple+i to see the space remaining on your drive (this is using OS X ).

You could also check out Ragtime Solo:
http://www.ragtime-online.com/
The system requirements are fairly low:
Mac OS X:
Power Macintosh with Mac OS X version 10.2. Version 10.2.3 or later recommended. 120 MB free hard disk space for one language, about 55 MB for any additional language.
Note: RagTime runs under Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)

OP
C

catchawave

hmmm... I'm not on my laptop right now but it's something like 4.3 GB -- couldn't find anything that had MB. So, they are saying 400 MB free disk space. So, I'm confused, are they talking about free disk space of memory or HD space?
I'll check out ragtime solo too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
They are talking about the harddrive.

The 'disk' specified is the harddisk/harddrive, i.e. the one with 4GB of memory left.
If they said "128MB RAM" required, they would be talking about the memory.

So you can use any package really, but on the lombard I'd steer clear on NeoOffice/J as it is Java based and a bit more processor dependent than the others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
catchawave said:
...So, they are saying 400 MB free disk space. So, I'm confused, are they talking about free disk space of memory or HD space?...

Hmm...it clearly states "400MB of DISK space...what's so confusing about that?!
HD is short for HardDisk, and as the name says, it contains at least one disk, which is hard, as opposed to a floppy disk which is, well, floppy (i.e. flexible).

So disk space and HD space are exactly the same thing. As your Lombard has 4.3GB free, you shouldn't have any problems, 400MB is approx. 0.4GB

OP
C

catchawave

Avalon said:
Hmm...it clearly states "400MB of DISK space...what's so confusing about that?!
HD is short for HardDisk, and as the name says, it contains at least one disk, which is hard, as opposed to a floppy disk which is, well, floppy (i.e. flexible).

So disk space and HD space are exactly the same thing. As your Lombard has 4.3GB free, you shouldn't have any problems, 400MB is approx. 0.4GB

What's with the attitude? You don't have to comment on my post if you're going to be condescending about it.
Good for you that you know about the workings and wordings on computers. I do not.
I had no idea that 400MB is approx. 0.4GB.
Sorry - but what an ***!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
catchawave said:
What's with the attitude? You don't have to comment on my post if you're going to be condescending about it.
Good for you that you know about the workings and wordings on computers. I do not.

Good for you Catchawave. I was thinking the exact same about his attitude in his post. It is easy for us who "know" abt. this stuff to forget that others don't, but attitude shouldn't show up on these forums.

Did you get a chance to try installing any of the software that was suggested? How's it working for you?

btw, OS X will tell you if you don't have enough HD space when you go to install.

OP
C

catchawave

rs2sensen said:
Good for you Catchawave. I was thinking the exact same about his attitude in his post. It is easy for us who "know" abt. this stuff to forget that others don't, but attitude shouldn't show up on these forums.

Did you get a chance to try installing any of the software that was suggested? How's it working for you?

btw, OS X will tell you if you don't have enough HD space when you go to install.

Yeah, these boards are supposed to be here to help people - even those of us who are not "with it" in the computer world. People shouldn't insult or belittle others - I guess some can't play nice with others....

Anyway, I haven't had a chance yet. It's just so sloooow right now. I might wait til the extra ram shows up. I was hoping it would have been in my mailbox when I got home today - maybe tomorrow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
catchawave said:

Sorry if you took it that way, but that wasn't what my post was meant for...
Actually I wanted to explain the difference, as you (and surely others as well) didn't seem to know it.
I consider getting a detailed explanation as help...not as an insult.

If you took it that way, well, that's your problem, not mine...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.