Macbook Pro warranty, changing HDD

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked a few times before and people seem to answer that changing the HDD oneself doesn't void the warranty, but I've just asked 2 different apple phone lines the question here in Japan and they say it does void the warranty. Is the warranty different in each country, or, is this just with the current Macbook Pro, or, maybe they are just wrong?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty

Also, instructions to upgrade HD and RAM appear in the machines user manuals.
ie. For my 2010 i5 MBP instructions to replace HD and RAM are in chapter 3.
see link http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/MacBook_Pro_15inch_Mid2010.pdf

In my Santa Rosa MB, only the RAM was mentioned, although the HD is still considered user upgradeable, and as well as instructions to upgrade the RAM being in chapter 3, they are also under the battery in the MB itself.
see link http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/MacBook_Late2007_UserGuide.pdf

OP
J
Reaction score
When they say "You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts" is that open to interpretation? I would feel more comfortable if they explicitly mentioned HDD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)
I've given you all the information you need really.
HD and RAM are user replaceable and non removable batteries are not. It will not void your warranty unless you mess up, and damage your Mac in performing the upgrade.
The HD and RAM that you upgrade with will be covered by the manufacturers warranty.
The warranty is international.
Apple recommends that you get them to upgrade your Mac, but as far as voiding your warranty should you choose do do it yourself, this is not the case unless you were to damage your Mac in doing so!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When they say "You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts" is that open to interpretation? I would feel more comfortable if they explicitly mentioned HDD.

Call Apple for more clarification if the info & link so far is not satisfactory.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Justin

As you've been advised, upgrading the HD is user doable without voiding the warranty unless you break something in the process. However, I understand your hesitation in doing so especially in Japan. (Having spent considerable time there myself while on military active duty).

The Japanese may have a different interpretation of what is and is not covered under the warranty. Knowing that, it might be wise to use discretion especially if you have to use your warranty while in Japan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.