Extended warranty valid for secondhand mbp without receipt? (nvidia issue)

Reaction score
I have a black screen and proably the NVIDIA issue (as described in article TS2377 on the apple site MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues). I am going to local apple stores tomorrow to get some tests done. However I have traded the mbp3.1 with an iMac last year and I dont have a receipt. Would this be a problem to get a new NVIDIA and logicboard free of charge?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have a black screen and proably the NVIDIA issue (as described in article TS2377 on the apple site MacBook Pro: Distorted video or no video issues). I am going to local apple stores tomorrow to get some tests done. However I have traded the mbp3.1 with an iMac last year and I dont have a receipt. Would this be a problem to get a new NVIDIA and logicboard free of charge?

I'm confused! What exactly do you have?

What you mentioned, "However I have traded the mbp3.1 with an iMac last year and I dont have a receipt."...is just making the situation confusing!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
MacBook Pro 3.1 were released from June, 2007, so I guess if you do have AppleCare, and of course you did advise Apple of the change of ownership when you got it of course, it will come down to how old the machine actually is as it may be out of the three year warranty period.

Take it you meant to write you traded an iMac on the MBP and never got a receipt? That may present a problem if the AppleCare is active and ou have not advised Apple of the transfer of ownership.

OP
Y
Reaction score
There is no warranty left and there is no apple care. This alone should not be a problem. Apple: If the NVIDIA graphics processor in your MacBook Pro has failed, or fails within four years of the original date of purchase, a repair will be done free of charge, even if your MacBook Pro is out of warranty.

However, I have traded my late 2007 iMac for this mid 2007 mbp. So I cant prove I am the offcial owner and there is no receipt. But there is a serialnumber so they could find out when it was manufactured. To this date every 3.1 macbook pro should be fixed for free if it has the NVIDIA issue, stated in article ks2377 from apple, but It dont know if this is true for a macbook pro without "legal papers"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I guess you'll find out tomorrow right?

I would not barge in there saying "I WAS NOT THE ORIGINAL PURCHASER!!!" lol

I honestly don't think it will be an issue at all.. Apple does a great job with customer service (*usually). Also, it's well within the 4 years of manufactured date, let alone purchase date. Should be no issue at all.

Let us know.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, I have traded my late 2007 iMac for this mid 2007 mbp. So I cant prove I am the offcial owner and there is no receipt.

Well you didn't actually answer my earlier question to clear up the confusion in your original post...but your post above helps.

Firstly...you don't need any proof of ownership for any Apple computer. Apple tracks everything via the computers serial number...and to add...this only matters if there is an Applecare policy still in effect. Since there is no Applecare remaining on this laptop...then the whole proof of ownership & serial number stuff doesn't matter at all.

As far as the video issue. Sometimes Apple has special repair policies for computers that have a widespread manufacturing or design defect issue...which in many cases will cover computers that don't have any Applecare remaining.:) Furthermore...sometimes when these special repair polices expire...sometimes Apple will still repair a computer with a known issue on a case by case basis.

So what I'm saying is...stop worrying about the proof of ownership stuff (it doesn't matter)...and if the video issue you have is a well-known widespread problem with Macbook Pro's...then you certainly have a chance that Apple will repair it. But you won't know for sure till you visit the Apple Store tomorrow.

Good luck,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.