Question about Mac Boot Camp

Reaction score
I have a Mac and would like to put windows 7 on it with Parallels.

I only have an 80 gb hardrive on my Mac and want to know if anyone knows if I can use an external harddrive to put my windows on or do I have to put it on the same hardrive as my Leopard.

Just thought I would not run short of space if I could put it on an external drive.

Would appreciate any answers if anyone knows if this can be done with success.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well it does depend on your model and operating system, but with only an 80GB HDD sounds very much like you do not have an Intel machine running OS X.5 or X.6. Always helps if you provide this essential information.

OP
C
Reaction score
Need advice on Boot Camp

I have a Mac and would like to put windows 7 on it with Parallels.

I only have an 80 gb hardrive on my Mac and want to know if anyone knows if I can use an external harddrive to put my windows on or do I have to put it on the same hardrive as my Leopard.

Just thought I would not run short of space if I could put it on an external drive.

I am using a Mac Mini with 1.83 , 2 GB of Ram and yes it is an Intel I know that for sure, and Snow Leopard.

Would appreciate any answers if anyone knows if this can be done with success.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged crossposts and moved to appropriate forum.

Edit: And no, windows won't boot from an external drive. You can thank MS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
With Parallels, not bootcamp - you can put a virtual disk on an external drive and run windows from there - thus saving space on your internal drive. I have done this for windows and linux.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.