Apple TV or some other solution

Reaction score
Hi

I have seen a few similar post but I though I post one myself.

I have a Imac, which is placed in the work room. I have a TV which is placed in the livingroom. I dowload movies on my computer and I would like to watch them on my TV.

It does not have to be wireless but I need a device that I transfer my movies to and it should play various of formats (avi, wmv, mpg etc). I also want to store all movies on the device. What I understand, Apple TV doesnt have any storage space? I have seen LaCie have a multimedia device but it is very expensive.

MANY THANX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
If you need those other formats, then the new ATV is not the right solution for you.

What might work, and you'll be surprised by this suggestion, is something like an Xbox 360. You can pick one up for $200 brand new and they can play almost any format (although you won't be able to play your iTunes purchases on it because of the DRM). It also has Netflix and Hulu Plus is coming soon... it can stream directly from a Mac, no problem.

Otherwise a low priced compact PC would do the trick, or if you absolutely must have an Apple product, a Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
Otherwise a low priced compact PC would do the trick, or if you absolutely must have an Apple product, a Mac Mini.

Care to share an example of a good one that's available, for close to the price of the ATV? I'm in the same boat...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Care to share an example of a good one that's available, for close to the price of the ATV? I'm in the same boat...

I didn't intend to suggest you could get something for $99. Probably somewhere between $200 and the price of a Mac Mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Have you considered possible a MiniDisplayPort to HDMI adapter, then a long (depending on the distance trough walls between iMac and TV) HDMI cable?

I use my MBP in "clamshell" mode to watch movies, and the rare YouTube videos on 60" TV. Works great for me.

With VLC you can watch pretty much any format.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you for all replies.

The idea I had was to download all movies on my Imac, and then transfer them either wireless or via cable to a "device" which I connect to my TV. If possible, I would like the device to display the movies on my TV without having to run back to my computer. Cables across the flat is a NO-GO for me.

If I get an Xbox360. How do I get the movies on to its harddrive? How large is its harddrive?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD
I have the Western Digital solution, don't have the wireless enabled one, just the normal one. Hooked up to my HD TV in the bedroom and have to 1TB hard drives hanging off it via USB ... all the media I want, with pretty good playback capabilities.

Put it this way, I haven't found a media type that it won't play yet.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro (2010) 2.66 12 Core, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 12 GB Ram, MBP i7 2.66 2010, 8GB Ram
You can use a Playstation 3 and use PS3 media server software on the computer and it wirelessly streams to the TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro i7 2,4 Ghz + MacBook Pro 2,6 Ghz 15" - iMac 27" i5 2,7 Ghz - Cinema Display 24" - ATV 16
I have made a solution with Automator and Handbrake where I convert all other formats to .h264 and .mp4 and sync them to my appletv. It works lige a charm.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.