Mac Security Software

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
You couldn't possibly have tried the latest version of Norton. At least for me, it hasn't slowed my computer one bit. It is efficient and transparent.

Probably because it's not actually doing anything! As virus only attact Windows PCs why are you checking your mac for them?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15", Intel i7, ssd, 4gb ram
I'll take your word for it on the latest Norton, but their reputation has been going downhill since Symantec bought it years ago so it would really have to be pretty impressive to convince most Mac users it's not stealing resources.

As for "new things": if you understood UNIX and Mac OS X a bit better, you'd understand why there is virtually no chance of there ever being a virus for the Mac.

It is pretty impressive. It was on my PC and also seems to be on my mac. I don't care whether anyone else here uses it or not, but to constantly berate it when people obviously haven't tried the latest version, is ridiculous. I admit it, a few years ago it was a resource hog, but no more. It's fast and non-intrusive. People constantly chiming in "OOOh, Symantec is awful!", is just indicating how uninformed they are. (Sort of like Obama supporters.)

It's true, I don't fully understand UNIX and Mac OS X that well. My understanding about malware however, is that the majority of it is not viruses but other methods of attack, and I don't pretend to know what those methods are. I guess my point is that Norton Internet Security for Mac has no negative effect on the performance of my MBP so why not be prepared for anything that may develop on the malware side.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably because it's not actually doing anything! As virus only attact Windows PCs why are you checking your mac for them?

It may seem like it's not doing anything, but that just demonstrates that it is not affecting the performance of the mac and is relatively transparent.

I much higher percentage of my acquaintances use Windows rather than Mac. If I get some kind of malware from them, say in an email, I consider it my responsibility to not pass it on to someone else using Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
It's true, I don't fully understand UNIX and Mac OS X that well. My understanding about malware however, is that the majority of it is not viruses but other methods of attack, and I don't pretend to know what those methods are. I guess my point is that Norton Internet Security for Mac has no negative effect on the performance of my MBP so why not be prepared for anything that may develop on the malware side.

This should help you understand better...
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/209182-official-antivirus-malware-firewall-faq.html

I don't care how light and unobtrusive the newest parachute on the market is. It's still useless and more weight to carry around than necessary to those of us who don't skydive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Have you even tried the current Norton Internet Security on the PC or Mac? It works great on both. Do a little research before making ridiculous comments. It doesn't help anyone.

As far as security software for Mac, I am new to the Mac and there are other things besides viruses that can attack your computer. Don't fall into the trap of "Gee, I have a Mac. Nothing can happen to me or my computer."

So please, tell us all of the nasty things that can happen to a Mac that we have to be wary of. I've been using Macs for 15+ years, have never ran an AV app actively, have used every version of OSX since the 10.0 Public Beta AND have regularly visited questionable sites (yeah, deal with it) where one would expect to find the nasties which you fear.

Never had an issue....

Please, enlighten us....

so why not be prepared for anything that may develop on the malware side.

If none exist, then there is nothing to write protection from. Ergo, it's a waste of time.

I'm with Zoolook, I don't leave anonymous rep either...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
It's true, I don't fully understand UNIX and Mac OS X that well. My understanding about malware though .....

Yes malware needs the Admin PW to be able to be on your Mac.....

Are you in the business then of putting in your Admin PW, when not really knowing what you are putting it in for ?? Not very smart IMO

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
"There be none so blind as them that will not see"!

All AV software can download is Windows virus definitions for viruses that cannot run on the Unix operating system and you wonder why it finds zilch?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Read
Official Antivirus and Firewall FAQ

Despite the rabid opposition, there are a few cases where running AV on a Mac has its place. Making blanket statements that is never needed is not true.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
People can choose for themselves whether they want to install anti-malware software or not. I guess my point is that if you do choose to install it, Norton Internet Security for Mac is without question one of the best.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It is pretty impressive. It was on my PC and also seems to be on my mac. I don't care whether anyone else here uses it or not, but to constantly berate it when people obviously haven't tried the latest version, is ridiculous. I admit it, a few years ago it was a resource hog, but no more. It's fast and non-intrusive. People constantly chiming in "OOOh, Symantec is awful!", is just indicating how uninformed they are. (Sort of like Obama supporters.)

What I've found with Norton Internet Security and the PCs I've had to repair for my customers (and yes, the latest versions) is that more often than not, it's ineffective. The machine gets infected with some kind of malware and the first thing it does is partially disable Norton. Then, you've got a real problem, because now Norton has co-opted the TCP/IP stack with its craptastic firewall. So, you can't pull down any tools over the network, and you're stuck with using a USB key.

What's worse is that more often than not, you can't uninstall it because the installer isn't smart enough to "heal" itself if conditions aren't EXACTLY what it's expecting. So, now you've got to download a special uninstaller from Symantec and hope and pray that it will actually rid the machine of Norton - and that's before you can even start nuking the bug that started the whole mess.

I'm sorry, I've spent more time fighting Symantec products (including their Enterprise, non-AV products) than I have using them, and avoid them like the plague they are on my personal machines.

On Windows, I use MSE and have not had a single malady on any of my boxes or VMs. On my Mac, I don't use an AV product (which by the way, will not protect you from yourself - you still need to practice safe surfing).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
C2D 2.26 | 500GB Seagate Momentus | 2GB 1066 (soon to be 8)
On PC I used Avira free-av (amazing btw), MBAM, and Comodo Firewall (yea, I downloaded a lot of stuff). I never got a virus tho, and now I don't need to worry about anything on my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I've found with Norton Internet Security and the PCs I've had to repair for my customers (and yes, the latest versions) is that more often than not, it's ineffective. The machine gets infected with some kind of malware and the first thing it does is partially disable Norton. Then, you've got a real problem, because now Norton has co-opted the TCP/IP stack with its craptastic firewall. So, you can't pull down any tools over the network, and you're stuck with using a USB key.

What's worse is that more often than not, you can't uninstall it because the installer isn't smart enough to "heal" itself if conditions aren't EXACTLY what it's expecting. So, now you've got to download a special uninstaller from Symantec and hope and pray that it will actually rid the machine of Norton - and that's before you can even start nuking the bug that started the whole mess.

I'm sorry, I've spent more time fighting Symantec products (including their Enterprise, non-AV products) than I have using them, and avoid them like the plague they are on my personal machines.

On Windows, I use MSE and have not had a single malady on any of my boxes or VMs. On my Mac, I don't use an AV product (which by the way, will not protect you from yourself - you still need to practice safe surfing).

I'm sorry, but this is total BS. Try it for yourself folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD
On PC I used Avira free-av (amazing btw), MBAM, and Comodo Firewall (yea, I downloaded a lot of stuff). I never got a virus tho, and now I don't need to worry about anything on my Mac.

similar to what I used to use:

Avast! (free)
MBAM

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Apple iMac 3.2 GHz Intel Core i3, 4Gb RAM, ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512Mb, 1TB HDD

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry, but this is total BS. Try it for yourself folks.

I'm giving an objective overview of my experience with Symantec products. This comes from someone with decades of professional IT experience using these products and also from my PC repair business. If you're going to characterize that opinion as "total BS", at least substantiate it in some way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.
What is the present thinking on whether Mac's really need security software like Norton, McAfee, etc. One of my local Apple Store representative said that he did not use any commercial software but ran ClamX occasionally. I did that until I upgraded to Snow Leopard. ClamX doesn't work on Snow Leopard. Any thoughts?

I am using Clam X on SL and its working absolutely fine for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I don't work for Symantec. I'm just tired of people berating and excellent product. I've used it for over 20 years and it protected me fine during this time. Yes, for a while it had a heavy footprint. But this is not longer the case. It's very light and provides great protection and uninstalls in a snap if you need to uninstall it. I really don't care who uses it but these constant rants about how awful Norton is BS!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, I don't work for Symantec. I'm just tired of people berating and excellent product. I've used it for over 20 years and it protected me fine during this time. Yes, for a while it had a heavy footprint. But this is not longer the case. It's very light and provides great protection and uninstalls in a snap if you need to uninstall it. I really don't care who uses it but these constant rants about how awful Norton is BS!

I'm glad that you have not personally had any issues with Symantec, but that doesn't invalidate the experience of others, and I'd appreciate if you stopped belittling others' concerns and simply state your case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

they're really not.. and you can't really fight a crusade against people.. people are allowed to use whatever they want.. there is also no tangible proof that it does anything on the Mac - or that it's even needed in the first place!

The first thing I done when I get my Windows 7 netbook was uninstall the free version of Norton they gave me - in my opinion (and user experience) it's ****! - I replaced it with Avast! and MBAM.. much, much better - the same lightweight combination configuration I've ran on windows machines without drama for years.. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
We have a FAQ on this already which is the main point of this thread:

Official Antivirus and Firewall FAQ

Seeing that it's simply devolved into a fight over people who like certain software and those that don't, we'll go ahead and close this since it's not germain to the main question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.