Help with AL PB G4 issues (won't power up)

Reaction score
I have a 15" al pb g4 that is 5 years old.

It's a 1.67ghz/1GB.

It has the original battery and it's been bad for quite some time. I haven't had the money to buy a new one, so I've just used it plugged into AC power all the time. When removed, the pb will run about 10 minutes before the battery is dead.

My ac cord broke about 2 weeks ago and I finally got a new one. So, my pb was sitting, with the battery in, for 2 weeks. Obviously, it was stone cold dead.

I plugged in the new ac and nothing. No lights on the batter indicating it was charging. Before the new adapter came it took about 30 minutes after plugging in the ac before it had enough charge to actually power on. This time though, nothing.

One thing I have noticed is that when the ac is plugged in I can get the battery to give me the super fast green blinking light when the button is pushed, but not steady lights indicating it's charging.

So, I figured the battery was toast, took it out and attempted to power on the pb with on ac power. All that happens is the fans turn on super fast and that's it. Not chimes, nothing on the screen. I have to hold the power button to shut it down, the fans sound like a jet plane.

I thought it might be a junk cord, but if that was the case, why am I still getting the fans on start up? And when nothing is plugged in, the battery shows no lights when the button is pushed. However, when the ac is plugged in, I get the one super fast blinking light. So it's getting power.

I took it into my local Apple store, they took about 5 mintues looking at it, told me either the hard drive was shot or the logic board was toast, gave me a "sorry" and sent me on my way.

I'm not quite ready to give up so easily on it. It just seems so odd that prior to sitting for 2 weeks, it worked fine.

Well, one thing that might be worth mentioning is that for awhile (i'd say at least 6 months, probably longer) I'd frequently get a message saying "Your computers clock is set to a date before Decemeber 1969." I'd go and change it, but it kept happening.

Anyone have an last ditch suggestions I can try before giving up on my pb?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I took it into my local Apple store, they took about 5 mintues looking at it, told me either the hard drive was shot or the logic board was toast, gave me a "sorry" and sent me on my way.

I'm not quite ready to give up so easily on it. It just seems so odd that prior to sitting for 2 weeks, it worked fine.

Well, one thing that might be worth mentioning is that for awhile (i'd say at least 6 months, probably longer) I'd frequently get a message saying "Your computers clock is set to a date before Decemeber 1969." I'd go and change it, but it kept happening.

Anyone have an last ditch suggestions I can try before giving up on my pb?

Try changing the PRAM battery in the machine. A machine that's 5 years old more than likely has a PRAM battery that's either dead or near dead. That will give you the symptoms you're experiencing.

Go to iFixit: The free repair manual and look up your model. Then order the correct PRAM battery from them. Also look up the instructions for changing it out. Let us know how it went.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.