MBP 17 Inch Processor Question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21 Inch - 3.1 GHz I7 Quad Core - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD, iPod Nano, iPad Air - 16GB Wifi Only
I currently have a MBP 15 inch and I am considering getting a 17 inch MBP.
On the Apple web site when configuring the 17 inch MBP there are two options for the processor: 2.53GHz Intel Core i5
2.66GHz Intel Core i7 [Add $200.00]

My current MBP 15 inch is: Mac OS X, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

I use my MBP for surfing the web, e-mail, working in Excel spreadsheets, and photo processing ( a lot of photo processing) - currently with Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 but I would add Light Room III and the latest version of Photoshop Elements to the 17 inch - if in fact I decide to make the purchase. I would get the anti-glare screen as I have that on my 15 inch MBP and prefer it for photoshop work. The 17 inch MBP would come with twice the RAM that my current 15 inch MBP has - and that would help running Light Room III.

For my use do I really need the 2.66GHz Intel Core i7 for an additional $200.?
Thx
Bill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I wouldn't say you "need" it... the i5 will, and does as you know, handle what you are doing.

BUT.. for $200 I would get the i7 to do it a little quicker, and might as will get the better, faster chip for less than 9% more cost.

If you are already buying a $2300 machine, I assume you have the funds to go with the i7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.