• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple Certification - What one would be right for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3

Well that's what I'm asking. As you all know I'm pretty passionate about the whole Apple would. And thought why not get a few Apple certifications. Not for any reason. I'll never work in IT. I'm a chef. But you know as a spare time hobby. And to keep the brain active doing something other than cooking all day would be nice.

Well I've just had a look over all of the Apple Certification site and not sure what of the courses would be right for me. I know they don't mean that much in the world. But I want to do them just cause I can.

And my question is still could someone with experience tell me 2 things?
Would it be worthwhile just as a hobby to do a certification or 2 or 3 and yes I know they are not free and money does not grow on trees so I'd have to pick the ones best suited at all. If any. That's if doing this is worthwhile at all.

And if doing this has a point then What one(s) would be right for me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Mini's (1.83(2GB ram/320GB HDD & 2.26 GHz 2GB ram/160GB HDD))
If your not going to be doing IT work, I probably wouldn't waist the $200 for the test.

That being said, The entry level exam you would be looking at taking would be the Apple Certified Support Professional. It gives you a basic understanding of how the OS works/functions along with a lite introduction to the networking side of things.

Two was to study for this exam, purchase the Peachpit book (~$60) read it and study on your own or sign up for the 3 day class that walks you through the book using hands on examples (~$1500).

I took the class, because I was really new to the Apple world at the time and the place I work for paid for it.

Don't bother buying the book if you go the classroom route as it is included in the price.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Well that's what I'm asking. As you all know I'm pretty passionate about the whole Apple would. And thought why not get a few Apple certifications. Not for any reason. I'll never work in IT. I'm a chef. But you know as a spare time hobby. And to keep the brain active doing something other than cooking all day would be nice.

I can certainly understand your desire/curiosity to pursue the classes/certification...I would consider doing it myself!:) But if it's going to cost BIG BUCKS like "kb2ehj" suggests...whoa...might be a bit pricey!:(

- Nick

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If you are going to be spending that much money, you better be committed for sure. As to what certification...I dunno. I would go with the one that interest you the most. That way you are passionate about it.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
$1500 coin. That's a lot on money. That kind of money would almost pay for a new imac I will be needing in a few years. Which is much more important. But since I am not new to Mac, but an old hand at it like a lot of us are, then just $60 for the book I can justify. And for anything non server/admin related I can just go through the book on my own.

And I've had another look at the courses and I've decided on the few that interest me.

Aperture: I don't own the app. But I own Photoshop (And use it a lot) and can use that. So learning Aperture should be a breeze. But I'd have to buy Aperture for the course I think. But yeah I don't see anything advanced in Aperture offered. Plus I think Photoshop is the better app here. So, interesting but I'll probably give it a miss.

Logic: I own Logic actually. Never really used it properly though. But I really enjoy all that music/audio creation. Writing and creating music/lyrics is something I like to do a lot.
ilife/iwork: The study of those apps should be interesting. But if money got tight I'd skip this one.

OS X: SL introduction, SL support, SL deployment really interest me too.

I'd have to contact Apple to see how I would go about it cause I live in Australia.
And pigoo3 I agree with you totally. Feeding your head with knowledge has always been very expensive. And the Apple Certs are no different I guess.

[edit] And after reading up on the certs, most of them want 80% on the exams for a pass. That's tough. Even university/Tafe only asks for 50% for the pass. That's something I think people should be aware of. These certs look like very hard things to pass and obtain. But on the flip side you can do the exam again one week after if you don't get that 80%. Each exam re-sit just costs a fee.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And after reading up on the certs, most of them want 80% on the exams for a pass. That's tough. Even university/Tafe only asks for 50% for the pass. That's something I think people should be aware of. These certs look like very hard things to pass and obtain.

Yeah...80% can be tough...but then again maybe that adds to the creditability of the Apple Certification...that someone having it really knows their stuff!:)

But then again...I'm not familiar with computer certifications...so maybe certifications for other computer platforms are around 80% as well.

But on the flip side you can do the exam again one week after if you don't get that 80%. Each exam re-sit just costs a fee.

What was the cost of the re-take exam if you needed to take it. Was it a much smaller fee that the cost of taking the exam the first time?

Thanks for the details,

- Nick

p.s. By the way...regarding the 80% passing score needed. Where I live in the U.S. to pass the written exam for your drivers license...you need a minimum score of 75% to pass. Of course (I think) these questions are easier than what would be found on a Apple certification exam.;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 Mini's (1.83(2GB ram/320GB HDD & 2.26 GHz 2GB ram/160GB HDD))
I was lucky and my employer paid the course and testing fee for me. I paid the first time around for the test (I missed passing by 2 points (and that is going from almost no MAC experience to attempting the test.) Second time around the boss paid the fee and of course I passed it that go around.

I'm not sure if all places charge the $1,500.00(USD) but I'm sure most are right in that area. BTW I took my class/test with Computer Tree(nationwide chain).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
[edit] And after reading up on the certs, most of them want 80% on the exams for a pass. That's tough. Even university/Tafe only asks for 50% for the pass. That's something I think people should be aware of. These certs look like very hard things to pass and obtain. But on the flip side you can do the exam again one week after if you don't get that 80%. Each exam re-sit just costs a fee.

I'd be shocked if it were less than 80% for a reputable company like Apple. The certification wouldn't mean much if it certified that it was a 50/50 crap shoot that the certified person had working knowledge of a given topic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
p.s. By the way...regarding the 80% passing score needed. Where I live in the U.S. to pass the written exam for your drivers license...you need a minimum score of 75% to pass. Of course (I think) these questions are easier than what would be found on a Apple certification exam.;)

Good point... 80% is equivalent to a 2.5 on a 4.0 college grading scale, the lowest B- available before you drop down to "C" level.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good point... 80% is equivalent to a 2.5 on a 4.0 college grading scale, the lowest B- available before you drop down to "C" level.

Well at the university I used to go to before I left to go to cooking school. Well there 75% was a 6 and 85% I believe was a 7 in our grading scale. That's like the 75% was the B and the 85% was the A.

Reaction score
I suggest that you don't take the course. If you'll never work for IT and your current job is not technology related then you shouldn't.

Take it only if you know that it would help you in the future you wish to pursue.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suggest that you don't take the course. If you'll never work for IT and your current job is not technology related then you shouldn't.

Take it only if you know that it would help you in the future you wish to pursue.

I respectfully disagree.:) What you're basically saying is...don't bother learning anything that you won't use later or in the future.

That's just it...sometimes you don't know what the future will bring...so knowing many things (even if they're not immediately beneficial) is a good thing!:) Especially if someone all of a sudden loses their job...at some point decides to pursue a different career path....or maybe even take on a 2nd part-time career.

In this case "the8thark" is interested in getting an Apple Certification out of curiosity & the desire to learn new things...a very positive quality in my humble opinion! The desire to continuously learn is always a good thing.

Now if you said...don't pursue getting an Apple Certification because it seems way too expensive for someone not currently working in the computer industry (and spending this amount of money might strain someones budget)...I could see the logic in that.:)

- Nick

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now if you said...don't pursue getting an Apple Certification because it seems way too expensive for someone not currently working in the computer industry (and spending this amount of money might strain someones budget)...I could see the logic in that.:)

That is the only reason why I have not signed up already for some Apple certs. I just don't have the kind of cash mentioned in this topic for the certs now. I'd have to save up a long time to get them. And I'm sure that's the reason why a lot of us don't have the Apple Certs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That is the only reason why I have not signed up already for some Apple certs. I just don't have the kind of cash mentioned in this topic for the certs now. I'd have to save up a long time to get them. And I'm sure that's the reason why a lot of us don't have the Apple Certs.

Like you mentioned earlier...with that sort of money you could get a nice new iMac!:)

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's pretty fun doing that sort of stuff. Have not done so in awhile, but up until a few years ago, I almost always had some new study at your own pace course sitting on my desk - just as a hobby. They really help keep your mind active and sharp. And did I mention, can be a lot of fun.

I don't believe learning about the stuff you're interested in is ever a waste of time. Don't care if you never use it. I'm just a lowly painter. No, not an artist. I painted houses for a living when I got my first computer and was 30 years old. Being a hardcore gamer, by the 90's, I had to start building my own rigs to keep up with the curve. I never was satisfied with only learning enough just to "get by" however, and so, in my mid 40s by that time, proceeded to get the A+, MCP and MCSE certifications. That was during Win 98 and NT4.

Others will laugh and mock that you're wasting your time and money. Don't let them deter you in your quest for knowledge. Wherever your interests may lie. It's not always about the money unless that's your interest. It can be very self satisfying setting, learning and accomplishing in new areas of study and helps keep the mind young.

I'm just an old, maybe ex-hippie painter still, though now I sit in an office instead of being out there with a brush in my hand. But, you'd be surprised by the folks that call this old codger to ask advice about some topics. Many times, those same ones that told me it was a waste of time to begin with.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Brilliant post. We each work hard for our money and someone has no right to tell us how to spend it. And secondly if you keep your brain active you have less of a chance of getting diseases like Alzheimer's and similar things in old age. So no knowledge really in this vain is wasted knowledge.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's pretty fun doing that sort of stuff. Have not done so in awhile, but up until a few years ago, I almost always had some new study at your own pace course sitting on my desk - just as a hobby. They really help keep your mind active and sharp.

Great post...thanks for sharing!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.