hi,

ok. problems with Starcraft 2.

my 27-inch imac spec as below:

2.93GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
1TB Serial ATA Drive
8x double-layer SuperDrive
ATI Radeon HD 5750 1GB GDDR5 SDRAM

after i installed SC2 on my new imac. its says graphics card unknown. but i can play the game, just that, at the graphics section, where u can configure your graphics settings it "suggested" medium graphics only and instead of the 2560 x 1440 resoulution, it suggested something much lower "1250 x 720". and same for all the other graphics options: "medium or low".

but, when i installed SC2 on my last imac with only a 512mb graphics card, also an i7, 2.8 ghz, i have no problems and the graphics settings as it automatically suggested "high" settings.

Very weird problem. so i put the graphics settings to all Ultra on my new imac. can run but lagging a bit during game play, during campagin and online and sometimes hang during loading back to hyperion bridge. wondering if you guys/gals are having the same problem as me?

i thought such a powerful imac should have no problem at all. Or, something went wrong when i was sync-ing from the old imac to this new imac. thats why i reinstalled the SC2. but the problem with the graphics settings are still there.

pls help me. thank you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Are you trying to play the game through Bootcamp or through OSX?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem is that the ATI Radeon 5750 that is in the new 27" iMac is in reality an ATI Radeon 5850 mobility graphics chipset. The drivers used in Snow Leopard are the correct ones, however. It's more than likely that SC 2 needs to be updated in order to recognize the card.

If you were playing using Boot Camp and Windows 7, you could download the mobility drivers for the 5850 and play the game using high settings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Do you have all the latest updates from Apple? ATI and Apple got together recently and developed highly-tweaked drivers to maximize gaming performance (FINALLY!).

Also… did you install OS X fresh to this iMac, or perhaps do something like re-use the drive from your old iMac? If you did the latter, there's the off-chance that you are in fact lacking the proper drivers for this new graphics card.

OP
J
Reaction score
Do you have all the latest updates from Apple? ATI and Apple got together recently and developed highly-tweaked drivers to maximize gaming performance (FINALLY!).

Also… did you install OS X fresh to this iMac, or perhaps do something like re-use the drive from your old iMac? If you did the latter, there's the off-chance that you are in fact lacking the proper drivers for this new graphics card.

i just bought this imac 27 inch (2010) and then after starting up, i updated it using the software update, then i sync it with my previous imac (2009). meaning all my files and SC2 files are being sync to my new imac. and OSX snow leopard comes with every mac you bought.

yeap..thats about it....SC2 runs fine with my last imac it senses the graphics card and put evey graphics options to high but after transferring to this new imac.....every thing went to ****. i reinstall the SC2 and problem still persist.

sigh~~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just bought this imac 27 inch (2010) and then after starting up, i updated it using the software update, then i sync it with my previous imac (2009). meaning all my files and SC2 files are being sync to my new imac. and OSX snow leopard comes with every mac you bought.

yeap..thats about it....SC2 runs fine with my last imac it senses the graphics card and put evey graphics options to high but after transferring to this new imac.....every thing went to ****. i reinstall the SC2 and problem still persist.

sigh~~~

I don't see much of a choice short of wiping your drive and reinstalling Snow Leopard from scratch. Before doing that, perhaps you should run the Apple Hardware Test just to be sure it doesn't catch anything wrong. If you reinstall OS X, apply all updates, and install SC2 with all updates, and you are still having performance issues, I would certainly call Apple or Blizzard. Everything I'm reading about SC2 on the iMac i7 says it is playable with ultra settings.

OP
J
Reaction score
it seem that SC2 after instaling , after patching up 1.1.1 (latest version) it prompted me when i was starting the game for the first time after installing (3rd time reinstalling) it says something like:" Your graphics card cannot be recognised, you can change your settings to the one that suit your graphics card."

i am presently using 27 inch imac (2010) ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory/

so can i conclude that SC2 cannot recognised the newer graphics card from ATi in an imac? so i just have to change the settings to the one that suit my com/graphics card ? i am running everything on Ultra for the time being works fine for the first 3 levels campaign.....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it seem that SC2 after instaling , after patching up 1.1.1 (latest version) it prompted me when i was starting the game for the first time after installing (3rd time reinstalling) it says something like:" Your graphics card cannot be recognised, you can change your settings to the one that suit your graphics card."

i am presently using 27 inch imac (2010) ATI Radeon HD 5750 with 1GB of GDDR5 memory/

so can i conclude that SC2 cannot recognised the newer graphics card from ATi in an imac? so i just have to change the settings to the one that suit my com/graphics card ? i am running everything on Ultra for the time being works fine for the first 3 levels campaign.....

I wouldn't conclude anything until all the steps I suggested have been taken. That includes calling Apple and/or Blizzard. They may have a specific fix for you, for all we know, or perhaps there is something faulty with your iMac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.