How do I delete stuff from the trash can?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb
Ok, I thought I had gotten the hang of things in Mac, but one thing I cannot figure out is deleting stuff from the trash can... in Windows I can right click and click on "empty trash," or some other kind of obvious term, and voila! So, how do I do it in Mac? I searched for this, but I don't know, I think I'm going to get Mac OS X for dummies.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
The easiest way is to click-hold on the Trash in the dock for the menu to pop up, then click on Empty Trash.

Edit: Or in the Trash window, click on the gear icon in the window and click Empty Trash.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
you can hold control and click on the trash icon and then go to empty trash as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0 CD/2gb/120gb. iMac G5 1.8/2gb/120gb
iLEFTOVERCRACK said:
funny funny!
LOL, yea it is, but I'm so accustomed to windows that I look at mac in the same way... and it's pretty frustrating. So, are there any good book, or is there REALLY a MAC for Dummies?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
A quick way to empty with keystrokes is Shift+Command+Delete while in Finder and to Force Empty Trash is Shift+Option+Command+Delete :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
JBarbier said:
LOL, yea it is, but I'm so accustomed to windows that I look at mac in the same way... and it's pretty frustrating. So, are there any good book, or is there REALLY a MAC for Dummies?

With a two button mouse you can actually right-click on the trash, and select "Empty Trash", just like in Windows... control-click and right-click are the same.

The best OS X books I know are the Missing Manuals, from O'Reilly...very well explained, and in a comfortable, not-too-technical writing.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Yeah, I know. When I first heard the author of the book, I thought Robin Williams was an uber mac geek. But it's just a lady, I believe. :cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.