upgrading powerbook operating system

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a Powerbook G4 10.3.9 and in recent months, certain pages aren't loading, so its time to upgrade. I've already checked it out and know that this mac has the capabilities to upgrade to Leopard, but I'm thinking it might be a little much for this old laptop to handle. So, the question: my friend has install discs that came with her purchase of a Macbook Pro version 10.4.6. Would this work on my powerbook? the jump up to 10.4 would suit my needs well enough, just wondering if Macbook Pro discs would be compatible.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.3Ghz i7 32GB 1TB | iPhone XR
Nope those discs arnt gonna work. The discs that came with the Macbook Pro are tied to that machine and are for intel computers, your Powerbook has the G4. If you want either tiger or leopard you will need to use retail OSX discs. You could probably pick these up cheap somewhere on eBay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just out of curiosity, what are the specs on your Powerbook? Ram CPU HDD etc?

OP
R
Reaction score
Hello Halo, just noticed you posted an additional reply.

Here's the specs:

Machine Model: PowerBook G4 12"
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.1)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.33 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.8.3f1

Btw, which is the HDD? Not familiar with the term.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HDD is your Hard Drive. If you can get hold of some Retail Tiger disks that machine should run it beautifully, especially if you up the ram a bit. I ran Leopard on my old 1.5Ghz PB G4 but dropped it back to Tiger just because of the speed tiger has on the G4

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.