Replacing a Macbook Pro screen with one from a Macbook?

Reaction score
I have a 13" Macbook that has a damaged logic board. It was stepped on last year, along with having things spilled on it. The screen was cracked, the top case was broken, among other things. After all of those problems had been resolved, the computer was still not functioning properly. We replaced the hard drive, and it's still not working. The other thing they mentioned was that the logic board might be damaged. That's the only thing we haven't fixed. I tried cleaning it off last night, but that didn't change anything. I was looking on Ebay to see how much I could sell it for parts, and I found a 13" Macbook Pro that has a cracked LCD at a great price. The bid ends tomorrow, and I was wondering if I could buy that and replace it's screen with the one from my Macbook. Any suggestions?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Purchasing that 13" MBP with the cracked screen from eBay is a gamble. You don't know how the screen was cracked and what else could be wrong with it. You might wind up with two machines that need fixing... And that is if the screen would even fit?

My advice: Sell yours for parts and use the money toward buying a new or refurbished machine from Apple.

OP
X
Reaction score
Yeah, I've pretty much decided that's a bad idea. I'm considering just calling Apple, and telling them what's going on. At one store, I was advised to do the AppleCare Direct Mail-In Repair, for $280. I was told they would fix anything wrong with my computer for a flat rate. Then I moved out of state, and the closest Apple Store is three hours away. Someone there told me that I shouldn't do it, and advised me to buy a new battery, which in the end, is not what I needed. He also said I needed a new hard drive, and that wasn't the problem either. It's my logic board. So I ended up losing all of my data and $180 for a battery I didn't need. I kind of need some advice, haha.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.