iMac vs. eMac

U

UncSki1218

What to buy

Ok heres the deal. I'm a trying to save to buy my first mac this summer. I'm almost at $1000 so im starting to look around. Primarily, i'll be doing some video editing and lots of stuff with itunes/garage band. I can't decide between an eMac or an iMac. (i already have a gateway laptop). The eMac has 1gb ram, 160gb hd, wireless keyboard and mouse, built in airport extreme, 4x superdrive, and built in bluetooth. The iMac (17") has 1gb ram, 160gb hd, 8x superdrive, bluetooth, airport extreme, and wireless keyboard and mouse. Basically its the same computer just one has a flat screen. The eMac is the best you can get but i dont really want to upgrade the iMac more and spend over $2000. Which of the 2 would you guys pick...is the flatscreen worth an extra $400 or should i save it and get the eMac. Thanks in advance for any help.

OP
Z

zap2

the iMac has a faster Ghz and has a G5 chip, whcih would make me want an iMac and its much nicer looking

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sure the iMac has the G5, but that is no reason to count out the eMac. If cost is an issue, then you would be happy with the eMac. I myself have a 1Ghz eMac and use it quite extensively with GarageBand. It has not let me down yet. I think too many people downplay the eMac, though they have likely never used one for any great length. :black:

OP
J

jessica

For what you said you want to do I would go with the iMac. You will quickly grow out the emac.

OP
U

UncSki1218

Thanks for the help so far...remember this is my first mac. I'm just not sure i need to spend $400 more to get the flat screen and the g5 chip. (the g4 would probabyl be fine)

OP
U

UncSki1218

Ok...this is is similar to my last thread but i have some new ideas. I'm looking at an eMac with 160gb hd, 4x superdirve, 1gb ram, airport and bluetooth, and wireless keyboard/mouse. I also was looking at the same thing but an iMac. The problem was that it was $400 more just to get the g5 chip and the flat screen. Now I'm thinking whether i need all that could i get the basic 17" superdrice iMac and be good? I'm mainly doing video editing and stuff with iTunes and Garage Band.

OP
A

Aarow

I think an emac w/ more RAM and HD space would be better than a no frills imac. I don't really know what Ghz or G5's are so my opinion might not be the best :).

OP
S

supremeoverlord

I have an emac but I would have prefered an imac, if only for saved desk space. Plus if you ever need to bring it in anywhere its much lighter to carry into the store. Add that to the wow category and the imac is the winner. Plus its video card is better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 12 inch running mac os 10.4 with: 60 gb HD+256 mb ram+Radeon 9200
imac. More speed better multi tasking.

OP
U

UncSki1218

OK...i decided to go with the iMac. It has superdrive, 1gb ram, 17" lcd, 160 gb hd, 2 ghz g5 chip, airport, bluetooth, and wireless keyboard/mouse. Thank you so much for all of the help...i can't wait to start using it.

OP
U

UncSki1218

OK...i decided to go with the iMac. It has superdrive, 1gb ram, 17" lcd, 160 gb hd, 2 ghz g5 chip, airport, bluetooth, and wireless keyboard/mouse. Thank you so much for all of the help...i can't wait to start using it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
you could always do my favorite, flip a coin! lol. good choice on the iMac, you'll love it

OP
E

Ey3 D

UncSki1218 said:
Good choice and congratulations on your first Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
Good choice, the G5 is an awsome processor, works at lower power givin it more juice and reliability. G4 is still very good, ALOT better then the Power guldgin G3 predicessor. but you did a good choice, not to mention they have variable stands for the G5 imac....and you can hang it on the wall if you dont want to use the stand.

Cool Stuff. Post some pics of the beast too!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.