which macbook for music production

L

lilkarlh666

hey guys i have been using a 24 inch imac since early last year for using logic 9 for music production. As i am about to go of to uni i was looking into purchasing a macbook pro. The two i am interested in is the top end 13 inch macbook which is pretty much the same spec as my imac which runs logic 9 perfectly, so i presume so would the 13 inch macbook, and the 2.4 gh'z i5 15 inch. I don't really know how much of a difference the i5 would give me overall over the core 2 duo and was hoping that you guys would be able to help me. Also i need to stick to as low a budget as possible as im also looking into purchasing an ipad for on the move document editing also.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
I use Logic Studio on a 2006 MacBook... it runs fine and anything newer will also run fine. The i5 will run cooler and probably use less power than the Core2Duo, and of course performance will be better, but it's really not a necessity unless you're going to be mixing 96-track professional audio in the back of a tour-bus.

Just some things to look out for, much more important than the CPU speed in my opinion.

- Screen Space is a premium when editing audio. If you're taking this seriously, you need either an external monitor, or a large screen.

- A fast HDD is far more important than the difference in CPU speeds you're talking about. A large 7200RPM HDD should be something you request

- The 13" MacBook Pro only has a SINGLE audio in/out which can choke your workflow. If you're intending to use external instruments, and mixing within Logic, you need to address this with either a Firewire Audio Adapter or a mixer. The 15" and above models have separate in/out

-M

OP
L

lilkarlh666

i already have an external 24 inch monitor and was planning on getting the mini dvi adapter to hdmi for it. i will also be using an external alesis sound card that uses usb for guitar inputs so i have all of that covered. the only other instrument i would be using would be a midi keyboard for usb also so there is plenty of inputs and outputs on the 13 inch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
My buddy just got a 15" MBP and put on a pretty decent Electro/Rave mix at my house last night. He has a 2-track USB mixer and an Aux mixer for effects, etc. He also has some sort of device that acts like an external sound card so it takes a bit of load off of the machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.