iBook G3 Hard Drive Replacement

Reaction score
This may be a really dumb question, but that's OK because I won't get an answer if I don't ask.

I have an iBook G3 laptop in which the HD stopped working about two years ago. I also have a POS HP DV6000 laptop in which the mother board died. Is it at all possible to transfer the HD from the HP to the iBook? I would just as soon toss both of the laptops into the trash than to put $400 into the iBook or $200 into the HP. If the drive will work, what sort of steps will I have to take in order to get it to be functional?

Thanks for your help.

Russ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This may be a really dumb question, but that's OK because I won't get an answer if I don't ask.

I have an iBook G3 laptop in which the HD stopped working about two years ago. I also have a POS HP DV6000 laptop in which the mother board died. Is it at all possible to transfer the HD from the HP to the iBook? I would just as soon toss both of the laptops into the trash than to put $400 into the iBook or $200 into the HP. If the drive will work, what sort of steps will I have to take in order to get it to be functional?

Thanks for your help.

Russ

OK, interesting one.

Before you even start, you need to know if the HP HDD even compatible with the G3 machine, interface wise. I suspect not, because the HDD in that machine was SATA, as opposed to UATA.

But... fear not, because you can buy a brand new HDD from Powerbookmedic for your G3 for about $70... way less than $400 or $200 you're worried about.

You'll need your OS X system discs to rescue things either way.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have an iBook G3 laptop in which the HD stopped working about two years ago. I also have a POS HP DV6000 laptop in which the mother board died. Is it at all possible to transfer the HD from the HP to the iBook?

Your G3 iBook probably has an 2.5" IDE hard drive. If as "Zoolook" mentioned that the HP laptop you have has an SATA hard drive...then you can't swap them.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.