• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Apple posts net loss of $195 million

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
For all of you too young or too new to Apple to remember its darkest days, here's a reminder that Apple wasn't always the tech juggernaut it now is.

It was once the hobbled cripple of the tech industry, and this is why Dells CEO of the time advised (in 1997) that Apple should "shut it down and give the money back to the shareholders."

Interesting to see an Apple in the doldrums, compared to todays Apple flying high.

Apple Reports First Quarter Results

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
That financial report is for the FY 2000, not 1997 and although it doesn't look rosy, Apple were far from being in trouble. There was still a lot of restructuring going on, but the balance sheet was starting to get pretty healthy ($4 billion cash-in-hand).

But it's a good point, that Apple didn't really start to become what it is today until around 2004, at least in terms of serious earnings and a share-price to suit.

OP
louishen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yep, that's the 2000 report, I was just pointing out that Apple was considered a basket case during the period, hence the quote from 1997.

It's easy with hindsight to see a resurgent Apple, but the period from 1997 to about 2001, Apple was almost an also ran and everybody at the time saw Microsoft as the undisputed king of the hill, with Apple at best surviving with its 3–5% market share.

How things have changed, and who could have predicted it at the time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Let's also look at the fact, in 2000, Steve Jobs had only been back a few years, there was a lot of cleaning up that needed to be done for the company to get back on track. I'm surprised it turned around so quickly only because the prior CEOs really didn't do enough to positively impact Apples position in the market place.

Apple definitely did have some dark days (and it may again), and if one forgets history they are doomed to repeat it, so let's hope that Apple (whether during Jobs tenure or some future CEO) doesn't repeat what happened during that period just over a decade from 1985 to 1997. Next time it may not be just 3-4 years to get back on track - heck it may be never. And I'm not saying Apple is perfect, I do think there are some things that can come back to haunt them in the future - but only time will tell.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
Apple definitely did have some dark days (and it may again), and if one forgets history they are doomed to repeat it, so let's hope that Apple (whether during Jobs tenure or some future CEO) doesn't repeat what happened during that period just over a decade from 1985 to 1997. Next time it may not be just 3-4 years to get back on track - heck it may be never. And I'm not saying Apple is perfect, I do think there are some things that can come back to haunt them in the future - but only time will tell.

Its hard to imagine that the world's 2nd largest company could go back to those days. You have to remember that although Apple seemed like a big deal in the early 1980's, it has never really been a runaway commercial success until the last 4 or 5 years. The original Mac's reputation is much bigger than the reality of its success.

With close to 50bn in cash, it would take an extraordinary chain of events for Apple to fall apart again. Worse than a commercial failure (IMO) would be if they forgot about being Apple, and became Microsoft/Dell and Sony all rolled into one, which is very possible if and when Steve Jobs calls it a day.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacs, 1 MBP, 1 UMB, 1 mini
Let's not forget the role that Microsoft and Bill Gates played in the resurgence. MS's decision to continue supporting Office on the Apple platform in 1997 was a huge marker in this timeline (Along with a $150 mill stock purchase). That is what inspired the now famous "MS doesn't have to lose for Apple to win" at the '97 expo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4ghz quad core ati 5850 graphics card 4GB ddr3 ram
What apple does is something delicate and requires a lot of investment into areas of computers that have been somewhat "excluded"
Their breaking point seems to be when younger generations get into the computers world.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.