Macbook won't recognize internal speakers

Reaction score
it's a MacBook 4,1
2.1 Ghz Intel core 2 duo.
running mac OSX 10.6.4
with Intel High definition audio
audio id: 54

when booting up the apple chime is loud and clear, when the tool bar appears the speaker icon is grayed out. The sound preferences does not show internal speakers, when earphones are plugged in the sound icon turns black and sound comes from the earphones, also when the earphones are connected they do show up as an option in sound preferences. I've re-installed the OS and updated AND REPLACED THE SPEAKERS with no luck. Is there firmware or bios I can reinstall?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the PRAM/NVRAM. Post back results. Also check your headphone jack.. look inside it best you can, does a red light show?

OP
B
Reaction score
reset PRAM/NVRAM, same situation. Earphones work, and there is a red light inside the earphone jack when sound is present, just not out the internal speakers.

OP
B
Reaction score
Wiped the hard drive and installed 10.5. No sound out speakers> did system update. No sound>installed 10.6.X>no sound. >did system update, got update error message at re-start installation>Updates not istalled. I'm thinking this might get resolved in later updates, hopefully.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The red light inside the headphone jack means that the sound out is stuck in digital mode. As long as it's in digital mode you will be unable to get sound thru the speakers.

Use your headphone male jack and move it in and out of the connector several times to see if you can get the red light off. If you can't, try using a strong toothpick to insert in the jack to see if you can push on the release switch to get it out of digital mode.

Search these forums to see how others have resolved this problem. You must get the red light out in order for the speakers to work.

OP
B
Reaction score
Okay no luck with the earphone jack, picked at it no tab found. BUT I was on the apple support site about firmware, their list stated the the macbook never had 4,1 it skiped it? from 3,1 to 5,1 (according to the EFI and SMC firmware updates for intel-based macs documentation) So I'm thinking the previous owner istalled the wrong firmware 4,1 is only listed for the macbook pro. And the the correct firmware will not install because it detects a newer firmware. Is there a way to make it take a down grade firmware?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand how the previous owner could have installed the wrong firmware? If the firmware is not for the model it was intended for, it won't install. Anyway, there is no way to downgrade firmware once it's been updated. Only if there is a firmware failure during the upgrade process that the previous firmware can be reinstalled.

I don't believe it's a firmware problem anyway. Like I replied above, it's stuck in digital mode. Did you do a search thru the forums like I suggested to find out how others got it unstuck?

OP
B
Reaction score
Yeah I looked how others got it unstuck, I guy claim he solved the problem but his signature stated he had a Powerbook G4, I looked in there and played a movie so the sound would trigger the light and could not see any tab. I poked around and could not find any kind of tab. Also I slowly stuck the earphone jack while the light was lit and the light turned off as soon as the earphone prong was 3/4 of the way in, it didn't get blocked by the jack it turned off.

OP
B
Reaction score
Keept picking with all kinds of stuff. I'm thinking of replacing the audio jack on the logicboard is it possible?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keept picking with all kinds of stuff. I'm thinking of replacing the audio jack on the logicboard is it possible?

Nope. You would have to change out the entire logic board. $$$

Reaction score
Jiggling the jack hole till the red light went off worked!

Thanks so much! Although a paper clip in the hole didn't work, jiggling the headphone jack repeatedly in and out AND side to side did make the red light go off and sound come back through the speakers!:D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.