Retrieving damaged open files after power surge(?)

Reaction score
My son had several open Word files when a possible power surge caused his macbook to shut down. The computer is fine but we can't find the files. I understand that this is not an uncommon issue.

His operating system is OS X.5.8.

Any suggestions on how to retrieve the files? I downloaded the demo version of Stellar Phoenix to see if it at least could find the files, but didn't see something familiar. But I'm not sure what mac might call such files (I'm a pc person). Also, not sure if I should be running "deleted files" or "lost files"?

Any other suggestions? Where might the files be? What might the extension be? Anything else I should try? Is there a better recovery program?

Thanks,

Paul

OP
B
Reaction score
Urgent Help Needed: Retrieving damaged open files after power surge(?)

My son had several open Word files when a possible power surge caused his macbook to shut down. The computer is fine but we can't find the files. I understand that this is not an uncommon issue.

His operating system is OS X.5.8.

Any suggestions on how to retrieve the files? I downloaded the demo version of Stellar Phoenix to see if it at least could find the files, but didn't see something familiar. But I'm not sure what mac might call such files (I'm a pc person). Also, not sure if I should be running "deleted files" or "lost files"?

Any other suggestions? Where might the files be? What might the extension be? Anything else I should try? Is there a better recovery program?

I also posted on "software" forum but don't know which is more appropriate location.

Thanks,

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

If the preferences of Word were set up to save every say ten minutes or so, Go to Word > Preferences > Sharing and select the save every ten minutes button, they may well be in documents Go > Home > Documents.

If not saved bad news probably.

OP
B
Reaction score
I think I found what you are are referring to under preferences>save, and it indicated save autorecovery every ten minutes.

But I don't know where "home" is found.

Thanks,

Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you follow my post? GO is in the Menu Bar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How did you go Paul, any joy?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.