Attempting to upgrade to Leopard - install question

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I get a warning that the HD does not use the GUID partition scheme and that I need to go into disk utilities and change the scheme. To what do I change it? Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Assuming it's the hard drive installed in your Mac, you must boot the machine with the Leopard DVD, select Utilities, Disk Utility from the top menu. Highlight the hard drive on the left side (top entry) and then select the erase option. At the same time select formatting the drive as HFS Extended Journaled, using the GUID scheme. You can't miss it as the option is selected automatically unless you change it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know you should back up before the install just in case, but does the installation process itself transfer all the files to the new operating system? If I erase my original os data what happens to that data. How does it get back into os X?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds as if you may be trying to install Leopard from another Intel machine's system install disc, which is a silver/grey colour. You will need the black full retail install disc, if this is not what you have.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have a legitimate copy of os X purchased directly from Apple.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
If it is OS X.5 and a full retail install disc as described, and you have say Tiger on the machine, do an Archive and Install. To select the GUID, you need to partition the drive, even if only one partition,. hut the Option button and select GUID from the alternatives.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.