Downloads

Reaction score
I have a file in my downloads folder, I'm not sure how it got there, but it will not delete just by dragging it to the trash bin. How can I get rid of it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8ghz G5 5.5gb RAM
It's part of your user account. I find it quite handy myself. Why not use it?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
It's part of your user account. I find it quite handy myself. Why not use it?

Was there an answer somewhere in this reply to the OP?

@OP, can you highlight the file in your Downloads folder and then Get Info on it, at the bottom expand the "Sharing & Permissions" section and that will tell you what your permissions to the file are. If it is set to "Read & Write" you should be able to delete, if only "Ready Only" try changing it to "Read & Write"..

If that doesn't work, you might want to open up a terminal and then issue something like:
Code:
cd ~/Downloads
sudo rm <file>
Enter your password when prompted and it will try to delete the file using Superuser permission, be ABSOLUTELY certain about what file you are deleting..

Regards

OP
J
Reaction score
The file is named "3ROjYevN.pdf.part" When I click on the downloads stack in my dock it's in the stack, but when I open the downloads folder it's not in there. When I click on the file in the stack I get a pop-up saying the application can't be found.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Raz0rEdge had the same advice I would give. Try that.

If it's some cahce issue with the Dock, you may want to go into Terminal and type:

Code:
killall Dock

followed by the Return key, this will reset your Dock.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.