sonnet ZIF 500/1m Processor questions

Reaction score
so it finally arrived, and it came with a sheet that said i had to install a patch so it'd work on the B&W, and that it had to be installed running 8.x or 9.x, NOT Osx,

im running OSX 10.4.

and to make matters worse, i dont have an os 9 cd, and this is a backup machine, i doubt i can downgrade without loosing my "precious" backups.

thanks.
bbl.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
so it finally arrived, and it came with a sheet that said i had to install a patch so it'd work on the B&W, and that it had to be installed running 8.x or 9.x, NOT Osx,

im running OSX 10.4.

and to make matters worse, i dont have an os 9 cd, and this is a backup machine, i doubt i can downgrade without loosing my "precious" backups.

thanks.
bbl.

Is this a firmware patch? If so...worst case scenario:

- find/purchase an OS 9 disk
- find/purchase a 2nd hard drive

Then:

- Install OS 9 onto the 2nd hard drive
- install the patch
- install the new CPU
- reboot into 2nd drive (OS 9 drive) to make sure the new CPU is working ok
- then reboot into your original hard drive (OS X drive)

Hope this helps,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Check out the Sonnet site or forums on the firmware patch. From memory, which is getting old and feeble let me tell you, was the patch required initially to run OS X when it was first released, or is this a separate patch for the upgrade? This link may help, which suggest you have to go thew OS 9 route:-

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/encore.html

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.