Do you use Spaces? How?

Reaction score
The other day in my university I saw a guy using Spaces on his MacBook. It got me thinking "Hey, it's a great Mac feature I'm missing out on!". I got home, turned on my Mac, clicked "Enable Spaces"... And this was it. I know it can help me to be more organized etc but I am kinda lost for some reason. Any tips on how you use it? How can I improve my productivity with Spaces?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I use spaces with Hot Corners to switch between spaces.

I set specific applications to open in specific spaces. iCal in its own space, Safari in another, mail in another, etc etc.

Then when I need to see say iCal and Mail in the same space, I open up all the spaces with the hot corner and drag iCal into the same space as Mail.

It's really a great tool, I love it! Apparently it takes some folks a while to get used to this setup, and there may be better ways to use it. I set it up on a friends mac, and he hated the hot corners, he just couldn't get used to it, but still uses Spaces daily, using the keyboard shortcuts to navigate them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I use 4 Spaces.

Dictionary
Preview
Text Edit
Stickies
Word

Calculator
Activity Monitor
iPhoto
Excel

Browsers
iCal
Software Update

Utilities
Finder
Terminal

I have hot corners set, but only "use" them accidently. I use the F8 key to see all Spaces.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I used to use the virtual desktop available in Linux back in the day. I am trying to understand the benefit of Spaces on a Mac. I tend to use Expose/Application Expose to find the applications I am using. Expose is set to 4 finger swipe down and Application Expose is set to 4 finger swipe up using Better Touch Tool. I guess I could see it if you have your programs organized - on a per space setting - as mentioned - but you loose full access with Expose when the app you want is on a different space.

Anyway - what is the advantage of using Spaces over Expose in your opinion?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21" 8GB, MBP 15" 2.5 Penryn, 4 GB/180 GB
I use 4 spaces, plus the HyperSpaces program.

Web browsers (except Opera)
Word processing
Accordance (Biblical studies program)
Page layout
iTunes (now, it used to be in 2)

Opera

Mail
iCal
Address Book

Misc.

Reaction score
I use six spaces to keep different apps open without clutter. I did not use it when I shared the computer with my wife because she did not understand it but now with her own computer, I use it. I use the hot corner feature to open the spaces and found that you can drag an app from one space to another easily. Pretty neat feature, I think.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.